PSA: Weighing Ice Cream in grams

Options
inertiastrength
inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Weighing Ice Cream when the nutrition label is in mL but mL of ice cream is not the same as mL of water therefore to weigh it in grams... it's about half of that (125mL = approximately 60g.) Just thought I'd put this out there for the smart *kitten* that think 1ml = 1g and "have always done it this way and still lose" That's fine, but you're still wrong.

Replies

• KrystalKween
    KrystalKween Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no idea there was a difference so I definitely appreciate the information. Thanks!
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I imagine it might vary a bit depending on if there are nuts or other things in your ice cream. Having a good estimate is awesome though, than you!

I personally put my ice cream in a half cup measuring cup. It's annoying but I do my best.
  • inertiastrength
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I imagine it might vary a bit depending on if there are nuts or other things in your ice cream. Having a good estimate is awesome though, than you!

I personally put my ice cream in a half cup measuring cup. It's annoying but I do my best.

Yeah, depending on how much air is in it too.. premium brands less; cheaper brands more. In some areas the gram measure is listed on the label but in Canada you can either eat the entire tub and know for sure or become a chemist haha. I halve it but even that is going to have a margin of error because of what you mentioned; still better than eating double haha
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Most ice cream (and food containers) will list the net weight of the container on the front as well. You can use this information and divide by servings in the container to determine grams per serving. Works for salad dressings, etc.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    weird_me2 wrote: »
    Most ice cream (and food containers) will list the net weight of the container on the front as well. You can use this information and divide by servings in the container to determine grams per serving. Works for salad dressings, etc.

brilliant!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

That would be taken account of in the calorie information though? I mean sure you're always going to get variation of how much of the the added bits and bobs in each serving but it all comes out in the wash.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

That would be taken account of in the calorie information though? I mean sure you're always going to get variation of how much of the the added bits and bobs in each serving but it all comes out in the wash.

Not gonna lie im the girl who digs towards every little tiny pb cup i can see in my icecream when im scooping it out xD
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Not gonna lie im the girl who digs towards every little tiny pb cup i can see in my icecream when im scooping it out xD

I haven't had it since starting this whole thing (2 years, yikes!) because I'm just not much of an ice cream eater, I'm more desserts but my favourite is Phish Food and I always do the same thing, as much of the caramel, choccy fish and marshmallow as my spoon can find.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Yeah, depending on how much air is in it too.. premium brands less; cheaper brands more. In some areas the gram measure is listed on the label but in Canada you can either eat the entire tub and know for sure or become a chemist haha. I halve it but even that is going to have a margin of error because of what you mentioned; still better than eating double haha

I mean I'm a chemist and I still just measure it in mL because that's what is on the package (in Canada). I eat it right out of the measuring cup to save on dishes...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Good PSA, but this won't be consistent from brand to brand.

Different styles of ice cream contain different amounts of air - soft serve or cheap supermarket ice cream will be far lighter than eg Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dasz - the former is whipped to make it lighter, the latter barely whipped at all, so much denser.

Hence why these expensive brands are so rock hard when you take them out of the deep freeze!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    They could always look up the US label if the same brand is available to find the weight of one serving size.
    weird_me2 wrote: »

It works except that products rarely have the right amount of servings in a container, so you'll still be off.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Good PSA, but this won't be consistent from brand to brand.

Different styles of ice cream contain different amounts of air - soft serve or cheap supermarket ice cream will be far lighter than eg Ben and Jerry's or Haagen Dasz - the former is whipped to make it lighter, the latter barely whipped at all, so much denser.

Hence why these expensive brands are so rock hard when you take them out of the deep freeze!

Yeah I realize that too... still better then me eating DOUBLE the serving in some cases lol that's no joke with Ben & jerry's hahaha
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Canadian ice cream labels need to get their kitten together and put the gram weight equivalent lol
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

I mean I'm a chemist and I still just measure it in mL because that's what is on the package (in Canada). I eat it right out of the measuring cup to save on dishes...

using a measuring cup in your case is probably more accurate, because you're using a volume measure. If you emptied that 1/2 C onto the scale and measured it in mL it'd be about 1/2 since the digital scale assumes you're measuring water as a liquid where 1ml=1g
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Just don't use scales to measure in ml. It drives me crazy when scales have an option for ml - there is no way the thing can possibly measure volume when it is a weight measuring device. As you say, is using the massive hidden assumption that what you're weighing is water or the same density as water. All it does is confuse people and it is not useful.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I just measure in grams then feel less guilty eating it haha. No wonder 100g of icecream seemed so generous... opps haha

But if the serving size is listed in grams, why wouldn't that still be accurate?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    This is how I eat my ice cream: I weigh the container with the lid off. I subtract the amount of 1 serving to figure out how much it should weigh once I've eaten one serving. Then I just eat and reweigh the container. Once I hit the number, I cap the ice cream and put it back in the freezer. I only buy pints. Weird? Works for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png