Advice for weight loss

Options
I just got back in the gym after a few years of not going and seriously missing it. I work out on the treadmill for 65 minutes every day. I just added the elliptical this week but I am at 15 minutes on that. I have been burning around 800 calories between the two. I have made severe diet changes. As low carb as I can, low sugar, high protein and a TON of water. I want to add in some arm and leg work outs but I am not sure what to add. I need to lose weight too. As of last night I have 53 pounds to lose. It won't be easy because I have PCOS and that always works against me but I am not giving up. What can I do to kick this up?

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Not really an answer but keep in mind that diet is ~90% of your losing weight battle. I exercise just to feel good.
    To Lose Weight, Eating Less Is Far More Important Than Exercising More https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html
    This site says 80% http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-80-percent-diet-20-percent-exercise
    And I never eat back exercise calories. One of my failures was stopping at Burger King after working out because I was hungry. Have a protein drink or bar ready.
  • stacysjourney
    stacysjourney Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So I could be on the right track with the diet changes I have made?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

So long as you can sustain whatever changes you've made, and those changes result in a calorie deficit, you'll do fine. Whether you can sustain the changes really depends on how comfortable/happy you are with the changes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Dietary changes mean nothing......if you have not reduced your caloric intake. You eat fewer calories for weight loss. Eliminate carbs and favorite foods if you think that will make you more healthy.

I've done elimination diets in the past too.....good for weight loss.....not good for maintenance. But if you can be very low carb and soda free forever, then you will be fine. Otherwise you will need a different strategy when you are done "dieting."

All things in moderation for me.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I know that weighing and logging food is a royal pain but it really helps if only to get you to realize how much you are eating. Try to do it for just a couple of days and see how many calories you are taking in. It might also make you more mindful of what you are really eating.

I used to often finish my kids' plates. Not much, a ravioli here and there, a few crackers left in a bowl, I never realized how much all that grazing actually added up to. Regardless of the salads and low carb foods I was eating at meals I was undoing it all without realizing it or even enjoying it.

Get yourself a food scale and weigh and log everything you eat for a couple of days. Don't try to aim for any goal just do it to see how many calories you are actually intaking in a "normal day". You might be surprised.

Good luck :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Mmm Don't be as hard on yourself and incorporate strength training, wish I'd started that much earlier than I did.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Be careful about eating back all those exercise calories. Often those numbers are inaccurate and inflated. Weigh all your food and log everything you eat. Choose an eating and exercise plan you can live with for life. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Going to extremes in regards to whole sale changes to diet overnight and doing a bunch of incessant exercise usually doesn't last too long. It's a long and slow process, so whatever you do it needs to be sustainable long term.

Eat at a reasonable calorie deficit. Do a moderate amount of exercise. Do some resistance training, preferably with an established program that focuses on working the entire body, not just your arms and abs...