can't eat egg yolks,but need the protein

Options
tobehappy2017
tobehappy2017 Posts: 41 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have recently started to eat 2 eggs daily to get near/reach my protein goal.Hard boiled is the best way for me to consume them ,allowing to use the rest of daily calories without feeling hungry.But i am really hating the yolks(ketchup,salt&pepper etc don't mask the taste of them).
**Iam ovo lacto vegetarian**
Now my question is if i discard the yolks will i still get the ~12-13g of protein from 2 eggs?

I already have other sources(cottage cheese,protein powder with milk,cheese) to reach the protein goal along with eggs.Eggs make my grocery bill balance with the protein powder etc.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    most of the protein is in the whites, most of the fat is in the yolks

from google "The egg white contains about 4 grams of protein, 55 mg of sodium and only 17 calories."
  • tobehappy2017
    Options

from google "The egg white contains about 4 grams of protein, 55 mg of sodium and only 17 calories."

looks like iam overestimating the gms of protein from eggs
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

You're not fearing the cholesterol or fat in them are you?
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    :open_mouth: drone drop me the yolks tks
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I would buy a think of egg whites and use those if you want to keep eggs as a source of protein - typically I scramble them; but egg whites, poltenta and spinach is a common mix in my house
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

looks like iam overestimating the gms of protein from eggs

I think you were right since you were accounting for the entire egg (two of them), typically a large egg is estimated to contain 6g of protein, but you lose some of it if you cut out the yolks. 2 egg whites would be about 8g of protein, or you may consider using 3 or 4 egg whites instead of 2 full eggs depending on what you are doing.
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    You're not fearing the cholesterol or fat in them are you?

No i am not.That's why i eat them hard boiled to eat enough of other foods and stay within mfp set limit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    What about buying the containers of just the whites?

Also, beans and lentils are budget and vegetarian friendly sources of protein, especially if they are dried rather than canned.
  • High_Five_
    High_Five_ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know you said you are getting protein from other sources, but are you eating tofu? So much yummy protein.
  • tobehappy2017
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What about buying the containers of just the whites?

Also, beans and lentils are budget and vegetarian friendly sources of protein, especially if they are dried rather than canned.
    going to look into the container of whites.Hubby bought it once,but we really didn't love how it tasted.May be try another brand.
    I include them both regularly in my diet.The amount i need to eat is a lot if i want to hit my protein goal.I never realized how hard it is to stay within mfp calorie limit and eat required protein(while i am getting conscious about eating healthy food,i want to enjoy eating them too,else i quickly fall off the wagon).
  • tobehappy2017
    Options
    High_Five_ wrote: »
    I know you said you are getting protein from other sources, but are you eating tofu? So much yummy protein.

I am suspecting hypothyrodism(runs in my family),getting tested in 2 months.Read that Soy products can aggravate it,so trying to stay away.tofu and tempeh were on my list to try too.