Uncomfortable knee pain, lower part of knee

Options

Replies

• Eva_M97
    Eva_M97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eva_M97 wrote: »
    I've been jogging pretty much every day for a bit over a month...

Regardless of what this is, you've got an overuse injury.

Once you're clear of the pain use a structured plan to get into running, initially I'd recommend Couch to 5K as a good option.

As above, the knee is complex and has a wide range of potential injuries that can't be diagnosed remotely. That said, there are some preventive mechanisms that will help a number of the options. Generally core strength of muscular imbalance related. Some form of resistance training will help you, and will also improve your running in the round. Personally I prefer body weight training, but there are lots of options.

I've already done c25k but I'll see if i could use the 10k version for my 10km training , and I've been doing strength training about 3-4 times a week , for the legs especially different types of squats, hip lifts, lunges (except that one really hurt's my knee so not now) but yeah maybe I'll up my sets amount

How long did it take from you doing c25k which is 3 x a week to running nearly every day?

I did c25k excercises daily bc I was too impatient for the 3 times a week thing, and I finished that like a bit over a week ago , I don't remember exactly, and after finishing I just continued doing the 5km route daily trying to improve my speed before 10k. I took my first rest day last Monday, ran on Tuesday and got the worst pain so far so I put ice on it tuesday evening, but rested again today since the pain hadn't relieved by the morning.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Once you're clear of the pain use a structured plan to get into running, initially I'd recommend Couch to 5K as a good option.

As above, the knee is complex and has a wide range of potential injuries that can't be diagnosed remotely. That said, there are some preventive mechanisms that will help a number of the options. Generally core strength of muscular imbalance related. Some form of resistance training will help you, and will also improve your running in the round. Personally I prefer body weight training, but there are lots of options.

I've already done c25k but I'll see if i could use the 10k version for my 10km training , and I've been doing strength training about 3-4 times a week , for the legs especially different types of squats, hip lifts, lunges (except that one really hurt's my knee so not now) but yeah maybe I'll up my sets amount

How long did it take from you doing c25k which is 3 x a week to running nearly every day?

I did c25k excercises daily bc I was too impatient for the 3 times a week thing, and I finished that like a bit over a week ago , I don't remember exactly, and after finishing I just continued doing the 5km route daily trying to improve my speed before 10k. I took my first rest day last Monday, ran on Tuesday and got the worst pain so far so I put ice on it tuesday evening, but rested again today since the pain hadn't relieved by the morning.

I'm amazed its taken this long for you to get an injury.

Why the mad rush?
  • Eva_M97
    Options

I'm amazed its taken this long for you to get an injury.

Why the mad rush?

I just like it and I'm so excited to see the progress I make every time. But yeah I guess I'll reduce my runs to maybe 4 times a week (?) ,Once I've rested the knee until there's no pain of course, because I don't want to have to quit for a longer time
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Cut back your miles for a bit and stretch your calf muscles a lot. See if that helps.

Also, I would make sure that your shoes fit your stride. If you did not get fitted for your current pair from a specialized running store go do it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    enyagoboom wrote: »
    definitely check your shoes! you may need new ones, or inserts - every time my knees or hips start to feel off i get new sneakers (every six months to a year) or inserts (same)

The woman in the store said they'd be very soft and good for regular use on running :/ I'll Google some reviews of them if I can find but I really hope I won't have to buy new ones so soon since these things are not too cheap !

At a running shoe store? fleet feed, Runners world? or at a mall shop?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Hmm ok so I'll rice my knee, up my strenght training, add some knee exercises and that should get it better

Just remember "knee exercises" include glute activation and hip mobility.
  • Eva_M97
    Options
    definitely check your shoes! you may need new ones, or inserts - every time my knees or hips start to feel off i get new sneakers (every six months to a year) or inserts (same)

The woman in the store said they'd be very soft and good for regular use on running :/ I'll Google some reviews of them if I can find but I really hope I won't have to buy new ones so soon since these things are not too cheap !

Hah I live in Finland those places don't exist here... I just went to this pretty big/popular sports store and the girl on the shoe section asked me about the usage and terrain and if I have some foot conditions like if I step funny or imbalanced but i don't know all that since I have never needed to see a doctor about that stuff. She wanted me to get some asics that had really well cushioned soles, so they'd be good for my joints since the route I run has uphills and downhills, but they were too expensive for me so she recommended the Adidas ones.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Hah I live in Finland those places don't exist here... I just went to this pretty big/popular sports store and the girl on the shoe section asked me about the usage and terrain and if I have some foot conditions like if I step funny or imbalanced but i don't know all that since I have never needed to see a doctor about that stuff. She wanted me to get some asics that had really well cushioned soles, so they'd be good for my joints since the route I run has uphills and downhills, but they were too expensive for me so she recommended the Adidas ones.

Did she help you check your shoe size? or foot shape? If not, there's some resources that you can google. Fit is important. and "soft" isn't really all that good for running.
  • Eva_M97
    Options

Did she help you check your shoe size? or foot shape? If not, there's some resources that you can google. Fit is important. and "soft" isn't really all that good for running.

ah well I'll Google some stuff :///
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So, I'm a doctor (for realsies).
    Knees can be tricky because the pain is so hard to locate and a lot of structures overlap.
    Good news is its unlikely you strained your patellar tendon- it's really tough and hard to hurt.
    I'd put my money on patellofemoral syndrome, especially if the knee starts off painful in a run, goes away *sometimes* while running, and comes back worse in minutes to hours after your run is done.
    That is like 90% of the knee pain I see in young women. I had it myself for about 10 years before fixing it.

It's an imbalance in the muscles around your kneecap that helps it "track" up and down.
    The quad muscle on the "outside' of the thigh gets stronger than the "inside" quad muscle and it pulls your kneecap off track.
    You need to strengthen those "inner" quad muscles- I trust you can google "patellofemoral syndrome" and look up treatment if you think it fits!
    For me, doing squats daily for about a month fixed my problem and it never came back (yay)

I also agree with above- RICE it until it stops hurting you while walking
    Feel better soon!

It does sound similar to when I had Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome. Or PFPS.

Mine was caused by a mix of muscle imbalance and IT Band Syndrome.

So yeah be careful of that too.
  • Eva_M97
    Options
    I also got an open patella knee brace to see if that might help support it while its still hurting during walking
  • TavistockToad
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I also got an open patella knee brace to see if that might help support it while its still hurting during walking

I wouldnt wear any sort of brace unless its been recommended by a PT or doctor. A support can stop the muscles and ligaments doing their job.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ok, well in that case I'll just recommend planning some rest days. If you're running every day you're overdoing it.

ETA, I've just read that you've basically ignored the C25K plan and injured yourself. Rest days are in the plan for a reason, you've now found out why.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    One more for muscle imbalance! I had knee pain for YEARS (i.e. whole life). A few months with a trainer who reinforced stretching tight muscles (IT band) and building up all 4 muscles around my knees to be equally strong made it like it never existed. Also switching to zero drop shoes worked wonders for me, though I get that is not for everyone. If I wear anything with a heel now, I get knee pain back within hours, right there in front on the bottom.

Never would have believed it though if I hadnt gone through it. I thought I had arthritis or some other issue, despite doc visits and MRIs and all. But in my case, that was all it was.

First thing my trainer said to me after evaluating my legs and knees... "Well the good news is that your sitting muscles are *excellent* " :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You said you did strength training, could it be a mobility issue not a strength issue? Maybe your quads are too tight and pulling at your knee cap causing it to track incorrectly? Do you use a foam roller?
  • Eva_M97
    Options
    You said you did strength training, could it be a mobility issue not a strength issue? Maybe your quads are too tight and pulling at your knee cap causing it to track incorrectly? Do you use a foam roller?

No I don't have a foam roller. But I would say I may not stretch enough so yeah I might be a bit tight :/
  • Eva_M97
    Options

I wouldnt wear any sort of brace unless its been recommended by a PT or doctor. A support can stop the muscles and ligaments doing their job.

Yeah.. but I was thinking since I can't rest completely, like I do have to do some walking around during the day, and since I do lately feel pain in knee while walking too isn't it better to have support on it ? To let the painful knee parts rest?
  • Eva_M97
    Options
    Tbh I'm kinda confused, like right now when it's still painful should I use it and do exercises to help build the supporting muscle, or not use it and get rest on it until the pain is gone? Or both in some kind of ratio? Sorry guys if this post is annoying I know you're not (all) doctors! :/
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Tbh I'm kinda confused, like right now when it's still painful should I use it and do exercises to help build the supporting muscle, or not use it and get rest on it until the pain is gone? Or both in some kind of ratio? Sorry guys if this post is annoying I know you're not (all) doctors! :/

Rest till you've seen a physio. Which was the same advice you got yesterday.
  • Eva_M97
    Options

Rest till you've seen a physio. Which was the same advice you got yesterday.

okay thank you