C25K App/Training Suggestions

Options
I am looking for a Couch 2 5K app or training program for beginners. When I say beginner I mean that I have never ran more than a quarter mile at once in my life.

It doesn't need to be free of cost. This is a reward I am giving myself for reaching one of my mini weightloss goals (yay, 65 pounds gone).

The first 5K that I want to run in is on Thanksgiving day, so I have about 4 months to train.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    All c25k are for beginners... the c stand for couch, so no running to running 5k.

Can you walk for half an hour, covering a mile and a half? If so, you're good to go with c25k.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say all are for true beginners. I have run across some that expect you to start by running for a minute and walking for 5 minutes. I cannot run a minute at a time.

I can walk very long distances for long periods of time, I just have never been able to run.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I wouldn't say all are for true beginners. I have run across some that expect you to start by running for a minute and walking for 5 minutes. I cannot run a minute at a time.

I can walk very long distances for long periods of time, I just have never been able to run.

You can run for a minute... slow down. Even if its the same speed as a walk, the gait is different so it all counts
  • magster4isu
    Options
    So what app do you suggest?
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm doing the Zombies, Run! C25K app - love it. I'm on my third session tonight :)https://zombiesrungame.com/ they have a few apps - two C2k, several "Seasons" and it integrates with your playlist for music.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    So what app do you suggest?

I never used c25k when i started running, so whichever you like the look of
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I am 55. I don't think I had EVER run a quarter mile in my life so you are ahead of me. That is not a short distance.

I am using the ZenLabs free C25K app. I am on week 4. At the beginning it was 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking. Last night I had two five minute runs, plus some shorter ones. It works. I am willing to repeat a week if needed, but so far I am staying on track.

The best advice I have been given is to stay on flat ground when at all possible.
  • mydustyroad
    mydustyroad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've used the app on coolrunning.com before and liked it. I just restarted the C25K and have been manually entering the interval times in runkeeper.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Oh and I don't 'run,' but I think I am now beyond 'plodding.' I am very slow at this point. I just keep moving. Last night I thought about running beyond the last stop running message, but I decided to stay with the training.
  • smurph1968
    smurph1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I finished Zen Labs C25k
    a few weeks ago and I'm about to do their 10k trainer. Just go slow and you can do it!
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Zenlabs C25K. I tried others and always came back to this one. It's free. You can play your own music and voice cues are not overly annoying. Take it slow, repeat a week if necessary. You have plenty of time to train for your 5K by Turkey day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you can't run for a minute, even with slowing down, then run as far as you can and repeat week 1 until you can do it. That's how this program is designed. You will get there. EVERYONE does!
    I agree with the advice to develop the ability to walk briskly for 3-4 miles without stopping before you attempt C25K.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the ZenLabs app. I think it starts with running 30 seconds and walking 90. What one of the previous posters has told you is very accurate...SLOW DOWN. Virtually everyone starts out too fast, and that becomes really apparent when you start getting to longer run periods. You do have plenty of time to train for your race, so have fun!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think I used the spreadsheet at cool running. This was before I had a phone with apps. If you can't complete any of the weeks in the program, you just repeat it until you can. Slow down your running. Many beginners have trouble pacing their running. It doesn't have to feel fast. It should actually feel slow.
  • magster4isu
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips. This is a major goal for me, so I'm looking forward to getting started.
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone recommending zenlabs. You *think* you can't run for a solid minute, but it's not about speed. The most helpful advice I came across before I started week one (I'm only on three now, but hey that's something) was to run as slowly as you think you can, and then go even slower. I thought my asthma would hold me back, and I haven't needed to use my inhaler even once. You'll be surprised how much of a sweat you can work up with such a slow jog.
  • magster4isu
    Options
    How many days per week do you train with Zenlabs?
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How many days per week do you train with Zenlabs?

Zenlabs c25k is set up to run 3 days per week. Give it a try, work at it at your own pace. You will surprise yourself!

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    C25K is intentionally always 3 days a week. Gains are made on rest days.
  • dawn423mfp
    dawn423mfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Zen labs here too. I'm on week 6 now. It's a good program, just take it slow and you will be able to do it. Good luck!