Long Journey, Need Advice/Suggestions

Options
frando
frando Posts: 583 Member
Hi!

Going away to visit a friend in Germany, I live in the UK, as I'm trying to save costs I've decided to go by coach. From doorstep to doorstep I'm looking at about a 26 hour trip, 52 both ways(!), the real issue is the way the coaches are connecting I'm unsure what food to take, or if I should rely on the rest stops? When I get to Germany (it'll be early morning) I've already been promised a 'proper German breakfast' but I'm unsure of what to do for dinner and lunch of the previous day.

Idea One, pack pre-made lunch and dinner with snacks and water to manage myself along the way. I'm unsure what would be light enough to carry in my hand luggage without taking up alot of room whilst also being satisfying enough that I don't feel the need to binge on the snacks right after. Perhaps sandwiches or cooled pasta?

Idea Two, take snacks and water and then buy meals, or something of the like, at the rest stops. This does assume that the rest stops will have some where open to purchase food and also that I can do it and get back in time to the coach (which will leave without me if I'm late) also this can mount up money wise.

I'm rather unsure what to do right now, I have just under two weeks before I set off so I can start planning now. Any advice or suggestions? All will be gladly accepted ^^

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I would pack meals and snacks just because of the uncertainty of finding food at rest areas. I wouldn't want to be eating vending machine meals!

There are a lot of options that don't take up a lot of room and don't necessarily have to be refrigerated so you can just put them in your bags wherever they fit.

If you like tuna salad, you can buy pouches of tuna rather than cans and bring packets of seasonings and mayo/mustard and crackers as well as shelf stable cheese (like laughing cow). You can also bring whole fruits and vegetables. Apples, pears, oranges, baby carrots, etc all keep well at room temperature.