Hysterectomy ladies? Please friend me?

Options
Hi guys, I'm scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy on August 29th for 2 large fibroids in my uterus. One is cantaloupe sized, the other is grapefruit sized. Believe it or not, they don't cause me much of a problem other than the heavy feel to them and trouble getting comfortable in bed. However, doctor is pretty insistent I get this surgery now as they are not slowing down growing any and are now giving me pee problems. TMI I know. Haven't shared this yet with my fitnesspal friends. Anyways, he is also going to remove at least one ovary due to its getting crushed and twisted under the weight of the fibroids. I'm scared out of my mlnd. I'm only 40. I am reading horror stories and pretty much everyone says a massive weight gain is inevitable. I've delayed surgery 4 years already due to this and am considering backing out because of it. I guess the weight gain is caused by a sudden loss of hormones and a metabolism loss. Does any lady have any positive story for me as far as the weight loss goes? I've read countless stories of women eating 1000 to 1500 calorie vegan diets who workout daily yet still have gained 20, 30, up to 80 lbs from this. I will be pretty crushed and defeated and I need any hope or advice I can get or even just someone in a similar struggle. Thank you! PS since I only have a month before surgery, I'm trying really hard now to lose. It's always been a struggle to come off to begin with. Grrr.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid, hon. I didn't gain weight. I got my life back instead. Have your hormone levels checked after you've recovered a few months, and you can take estrogen to restore the balance if needed. You don't know what those people ate who gained all the weight. I had my TAH when I was 37 and I'm now 48 and I weigh less now than I did then. When you are recovering and cannot exercise, just make sure to eat a sedentary calorie level to compensate.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    TaraTaraTara76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the hope
  • maltimoo
    maltimoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Get as fit as possible before the op and particular work on your core. Make sure you don't comfort eat before/after the op (find other ways of cheering yourself up whilst you're recovering) and do start exercising as soon as your doc gives you the all clear, and you should be fine. Feel free to PM me.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    Thank you for that. I may pm you. I will start adding in crunches and planks. I kind of avoid them because of the discomfort or lack of full movement I can get through them but I damn sure will try. One month isn't long!
  • Raquel_Mama
    Raquel_Mama Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    I'm with @gothchiq here on this one, don't stress about it, you'll be fine. I had one 4 years ago and I'm in the best shape now than I ever have been. Any weight gain I had was from overeating and lack of exercise, not from the hysterectomy. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    Thank you for that! I guess I better get myself the positive mindset!
  • jkddavis3
    jkddavis3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i had a complete hysterectomy when i was 29 that was 33 years ago, i had the same problem you had, i felt much better, but i do want to tell you to make sure you take estrogen allways everyday, back then they dident really stress the importance of taking it, without estrogen your skin down in the female area will thin out so much it can tear and your bowels and bladder can fall through your vaginal area. i dident know this until it happened to me. if you want more info go to trans vaginal mesh, there are millions of us women today suffereing because of having this happen, the mesh they use is dangerous and should not have been used on women for this problem there are lawsuits all over the world because of this. hope this helps i know it sounds bad but you need to know this its reality.
  • TaraTaraTara76
    Options
    So scary. Thank you.