Recomp Stall?

Options
Moter98
Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
edited July 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I lost all the baby weight from #4 in January and still had a good amount of belly fat at 5'3" 110lbs. I started a recomp in January and made good progress the first 4 months. Leaned out a bit, pants got a bit looser. Lost 1/2" in the waist. Now the last 2 months I have had zero measurable or visible progress. Am I being too impatient or should I be doing the bulk/cut thing? Don't mind the bulk part just would very much prefer to never have to cut again. I am currently doing Strong Program from the New Rules series. Coincidently I've been doing this program for 2 months as well. I just want this belly gone or to at least be seeing something happening from month to month.

1cypwnmm1ubd.jpg
q2wxr9nygaew.jpg

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It might be time to consider a different program. Possibly something in the hypertrophy realm.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You don't have a belly. You also don't have much muscle mass. I get not wanting to cut after a bulk (trust me, I tried and failed at the cut)...hmmm...How would you feel about just adding a bit of weight without a cut? Run a solid hypertrophy program in a very slight surplus. Add like 7 lbs...?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You don't have a belly. You also don't have much muscle mass. I get not wanting to cut after a bulk (trust me, I tried and failed at the cut)...hmmm...How would you feel about just adding a bit of weight without a cut? Run a solid hypertrophy program in a very slight surplus. Add like 7 lbs...?

I get what she's referring to when she says belly. It's not fat like she thinks, it's posture (notice the shoulders are rounded forward) and muscle related (likely transverse abdominis). Adding some weight and going back to recomp at the end is a good strategy.
  • Moter98
    Options

That would be awesome! Do you think I would look better adding weight and recomping at a higher weight without having to cut?
  • Moter98
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I get what she's referring to when she says belly. It's not fat like she thinks, it's posture (notice the shoulders are rounded forward) and muscle related (likely transverse abdominis). Adding some weight and going back to recomp at the end is a good strategy.

Oh, I thought it was fat. I can grab a bit on my stomach. Not a huge amount. I am doing some PT exercises to try to correct my posture, not worked so far. I do have a small diastasis recti, 2 finger width from belly button down. Do you think adding muscle mass will help to correct my posture?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »

Oh, I thought it was fat. I can grab a bit on my stomach. Not a huge amount. I am doing some PT exercises to try to correct my posture, not worked so far. I do have a small diastasis recti, 2 finger width from belly button down. Do you think adding muscle mass will help to correct my posture?

I do think adding muscle mass and core stability can help correct posture. I typically don't suggest many products or gimmick looking things, but Spud Inc makes this thing called a Bowtie that could possibly help you with the shoulder rounding issue. You might want to look into it and see what some of the fitness experts have to say about it. I bought mine off of Amazon and although I bought it to help with a very different issue it's done a lot for my posture as a side effect.
  • Moter98
    Options
    Moter98 wrote: »

I do think adding muscle mass and core stability can help correct posture. I typically don't suggest many products or gimmick looking things, but Spud Inc makes this thing called a Bowtie that could possibly help you with the shoulder rounding issue. You might want to look into it and see what some of the fitness experts have to say about it. I bought mine off of Amazon and although I bought it to help with a very different issue it's done a lot for my posture as a side effect.

Thank you! I will work on gaining some muscle mass and get the Bowtie.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You may want to look at doing a yoga class for your posture. I do Iyengar and come out feeling 2" taller.
    I find it is a good complement to lifting too.

Can your PT give you some DR specific exercises?

Also, if you want to switch to a beginner hypertrophy, have a look at the AllPro programme.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Cheers, h.
  • Moter98
    Options
    You may want to look at doing a yoga class for your posture. I do Iyengar and come out feeling 2" taller.
    I find it is a good complement to lifting too.

Can your PT give you some DR specific exercises?

Also, if you want to switch to a beginner hypertrophy, have a look at the AllPro programme.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Cheers, h.

Can the yoga be done at home? I workout at home.

I have run 2 PT programs for my diastasis. It started at 3.5 finger width and loose connective tissue. I've gotten it to 2 finger width with decent tension in connective tissue. I think this is as good as it gets for me. I'll look into the hypertrophy program. Thank you.

Side note: I have noticed that just by standing with correct posture my belly doesn't look like a belly anymore. Maybe a bit of lower belly fat but nothing I would even be concerned about. It looks like I should be focusing most on posture.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do yoga at home all the time. Just pay attention to your form. There are lots of videos on YouTube.