Strained my back --what about exercise?

Options
I don't know how I managed to f&*% my back up, but I have. Do I lay off the exercise until it is better? What do I do?

Replies

• seraphinelle
    seraphinelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a work related lower back strain and swimming really helped.
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I do like swimming.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There are several exercises for back pain on the Mayo Clinic website. Check it out, they might help.:cry:
  • JTutz
    JTutz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The old-school advice of laying flat and still has actually been proven to extend recovery time, so don't go that route. Light to light-moderate activity like walking (or swimming like the last poster) and NSAIDS like ibuprofen (if you are able to take them) are both pretty helpful. Good luck!
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    for the 1st few days ice it 3x a day then use a hot water bottle when its hurting in the days after that. rest it and just go swimming, when your feeling upto it bring in some ab work, stretches n dorsal raises n hip lifts. hope that helps a bit, I've got lower back and neck injuries from doing silly things like rugby but have found ice/heat treatment along with ibruprofen gel and core workouts have helped no end. good luck :)
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    swimming is your route. I have a bad back and I'm in the water all the time
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't lay flat without my back hurting more. I rolled a small towel and slept with it supporting my back last night. I have taken some ibuprofen and that helps.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    don't lie flat, you did right to support it but defo use a heat pad or hot water bottle too. It will increase circulation and thus help the healing process. keep moving but don't overdo or stress your back hunni. pain wise you can take paracetamol as well as ibruprofen, staggered them so 2hrs after taking ibruprofen take paracetamol. try a tai chi class its fab for bad backs and the movements are gentle x
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    swim
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly serious back injury myself and my physical therapist recommended swimming along with some moderate stretching. I can't even walk correctly due to the injury but swimming actually eases the ache. Also ibuprofen and ice should put you on the mend. As for sleeping at night if the strain is in your lower back you should sleep either on your side with a pillow between your knees or on your back with a couple pillows under your legs.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    can you walk?
  • Bambalina_1
    Bambalina_1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This happened to me yesterday while getting lunch outta the oven!! I pulled a muscle at top of my back! Have been in slight agony and stressing on what to do for exercise as this week is my second week lifting :( I guess I'll just ride my static bike... Thank you for posting! I unfortunately made the mistake of lying down flat in a hope to relieve it.