Not enough calories in a day

Options
Any advice on what to do if not reaching or coming close to recommended calorie intake my goal is 1700 per day and most days I am getting to between 1000-1300. I'm eating 3 times per day but just not hungry.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    add some calorie dense foods - nut butters, avocado, oil etc
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    More calorie dense foods, more meals, drink calories between meals.

(are you determining your intake by weighing/measuring or just eyeballing?)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your caloric intake? You may be eating more than you think.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I'll take some of those extra calories. :D

OP if you are measuring with a food scale I would just add in some calorie dense foods as suggested above. I was fine for about a month on 1,200 calories and then I had a day where I wanted to eat everything in sight. After the second day feeling like that I upped my calories a little and its gotten much better. I think either you are not measuring, or as it is stated above you are just adjusting to feeling full on your new diet. I do think when you first switch your eating habits around it takes awhile for your body to adjust.
  • plectrum29
    plectrum29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses and will take all into account. This is a second go around for me. I did two years of MFP and took off 86lbs. Took my eye off the ball sort of speak and put 25 back on and now addressing those added pounds. Everything is measured/weighed. Almost no guesstimating involved. Just having a different experience this go around. The weight is coming off. 6 pounds in 3 weeks but I have concerns about not taking in enough calories.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Could you take a mini vacation from MPF? See how you do without it? After all, the goal is not to be here for a lifetime.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Ah, the honeymoon period of calorie counting. This happens to many people who just start calorie counting because they often do a complete overhaul of what they're eating. They will switch to a diet that includes a lot of lean protein and vegetables, so they feel satiated on a smaller amount of calories. Also, the more body fat a person has the easier it will be to keep a larger deficit. Over time, this will balance itself out. That being said, most people don't start using a food scale right away, so they're often eating more than they think they are. If you're truly eating 1000 to 1300 calories per day, a ravenous day is most likely right around the corner. Eat to your calorie goal given to you by MFP. Yes, this also means eat back a portion of your exercise calories.

all of this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Could you take a mini vacation from MPF? See how you do without it? After all, the goal is not to be here for a lifetime.

It sounds like OP already tried a vacation, that's why he is now back to lose 25 pounds.

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You must have eaten calories when you put weight on, how come you can't reach the calorie goal now? Have a slice of pizza or 50 grams of cheese. Buy some protein powder and make a shake.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods. Nuts, oils, butter, meat, ect. It's very easy to reach with these added.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What do you have your weight loss goal set to? Do you know what your TDEE is? Essentially I'm asking if the goal intake you've set in MyFitnesspal is really what you need.

If you open up your diary we can make some suggestions based on what you usually eat.