Working out and ADD meds?

Options
vespiquenn
vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Yesterday I finally caved and ended up at the doctors after several years of dealing with ADD. I have never been medicated for it despite diagnosis years ago. Up until now, I just struggled through the symptoms.

However, I got prescribed 30mg of Vyvanse daily. Today, after my first dose, I did notice an increase in heart rate to the point that walking around and talking on the phone had me out of breath. It wasn't to the point that I had to stop and recuperate, but it was a bit startling. As a long distance runner, this concerns me. My doctor did go over side-effects, and I was aware of heightened blood pressure and heart rate, but my question is this. Is this a symptom that goes away after the body adapts? Because I have absolutely no experience with it, I'm not sure what to expect.

I decided to take today off as far as running just so I could see how my body would react, which I am glad I did, but I'm just curious if anyone else's experiences. I plan on waiting it out for a short while, but am not afraid to give the doctor's office a call if necessary down the road.

Thanks!

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Yesterday I finally caved and ended up at the doctors after several years of dealing with ADD. I have never been medicated for it despite diagnosis years ago. Up until now, I just struggled through the symptoms.

However, I got prescribed 30mg of Vyvanse daily. Today, after my first dose, I did notice an increase in heart rate to the point that walking around and talking on the phone had me out of breath. It wasn't to the point that I had to stop and recuperate, but it was a bit startling. As a long distance runner, this concerns me. My doctor did go over side-effects, and I was aware of heightened blood pressure and heart rate, but my question is this. Is this a symptom that goes away after the body adapts? Because I have absolutely no experience with it, I'm not sure what to expect.

I decided to take today off as far as running just so I could see how my body would react, which I am glad I did, but I'm just curious if anyone else's experiences. I plan on waiting it out for a short while, but am not afraid to give the doctor's office a call if necessary down the road.

Thanks!

Psychoactive meds are a balancing act. Definitely work with the doctor and let them know how they effect you.

It's possible that a lower dose, or another medication will be adequately effective.

Because ultimately the goal is management, not elimination of the condition.
  • vespiquenn
    Options

Thanks!

Psychoactive meds are a balancing act. Definitely work with the doctor and let them know how they effect you.

It's possible that a lower dose, or another medication will be adequately effective.

Because ultimately the goal is management, not elimination of the condition.

I believe this is the lowest dose for this particular med and one of the more slower releasing ones versus a quick release like Adderall. Thankfully my doctor is very open to communication, and I actually can't even get a second refill until I discuss how it is going through a phone consultation.

But I definitely hear you on that. I definitely don't want the condition completely masked. I'm an elementary art teacher.. I need my quirks. :lol:
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Pharmacy Technician here it comes in a 10mg capsule too
  • SSpeakes
    SSpeakes Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My son has been on Vyvanse 30 for a little over a year. My daughter is on the 20. Husband is awaiting his diagnosis. Yay genes! :| I was monitoring them like crazy when they first started it for any symptoms. They never reported any type of rapid heart beat, fortunately.

However, this med is also used for binge eating disorder and can suppress your appetite. My son still struggles to eat when he's on meds and he has to force himself to eat. He has to go for regular check ins to monitor his weight. My daughter had no issues with not being hungry. Just wanted you to be aware of that aspect in case the dr didnt tell you.
  • vespiquenn
    Options
    Roxie65 wrote: »
    Pharmacy Technician here it comes in a 10mg capsule too

Oh good to know! Apparently I misunderstood so I'm glad that lowering is an option if need be.
  • vespiquenn
    Options
    SSpeakes wrote: »
    My son has been on Vyvanse 30 for a little over a year. My daughter is on the 20. Husband is awaiting his diagnosis. Yay genes! :| I was monitoring them like crazy when they first started it for any symptoms. They never reported any type of rapid heart beat, fortunately.

However, this med is also used for binge eating disorder and can suppress your appetite. My son still struggles to eat when he's on meds and he has to force himself to eat. He has to go for regular check ins to monitor his weight. My daughter had no issues with not being hungry. Just wanted you to be aware of that aspect in case the dr didnt tell you.

Yep, doctor definitely warned me about that, and I'm already feeling the affects of it. Which can be equally troubling for long runs and fueling. But he offered a few suggestions such as eating in the morning before the pill kicks in and at night, when it wears off. Which is definitely doable for me. I will just have to play around with that aspect to see what works best.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Vyvanse but I do take concerta which is also time release. I think after a while the elevated heart rate let up a little, but there are times when I can feel it go back up throughout the day. On occasion drinking coffee has intensified that effect but not every time. I would see if you can take a lower dose if possible, that would definitely help.
  • Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended working out, then taking my medication, because it was a stimulant. Different medication then yours, but it was for ADD. My daughter; same thing. Exercise first, then meds after hr is back to normal resting heart rate. But safest to check with your doctor.
  • vespiquenn
    Options
    My doctor recommended working out, then taking my medication, because it was a stimulant. Different medication then yours, but it was for ADD. My daughter; same thing. Exercise first, then meds after hr is back to normal resting heart rate. But safest to check with your doctor.

I really like this idea and might implement it seeing that I run in the mornings, and I don't seem to take my pill until 8-9am. It's definitely an overall different sensation to get used to.

I did go on a brisk walk last night and noticed the same out of breath sensation, so running before taking the pill may be my only option.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Thanks!

From years of being on similar medication, the symptoms are always the worst the first couple of weeks. Eventually, your body will adjust. I called my doctor with this same problem, and he told me to just take half of a pill and work up to the higher dose. Of course, your medical professional should guide you, but i'm just offering what I've been told. Good luck!
  • vespiquenn
    Options

Thanks!

From years of being on similar medication, the symptoms are always the worst the first couple of weeks. Eventually, your body will adjust. I called my doctor with this same problem, and he told me to just take half of a pill and work up to the higher dose. Of course, your medical professional should guide you, but i'm just offering what I've been told. Good luck!

That's definitely a relief to hear, thank you! I did hear that the appetite suppressant goes away after awhile, thank god. Last thing I want to do is lose muscle gains from the last year due to quick losses. So I'm optimistic that the others will settle. If not, it's onto testing other methods/prescriptions. Thanks!

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Thanks!

That's definitely a relief to hear, thank you! I did hear that the appetite suppressant goes away after awhile, thank god. Last thing I want to do is lose muscle gains from the last year due to quick losses. So I'm optimistic that the others will settle. If not, it's onto testing other methods/prescriptions. Thanks!

When I started taking mine, I could BARELY get anything down. When I halfed the dose, i was able to eat and then work back up to the full dose. No worries! That medication is so wonky... it can be difficult to work with!
  • vespiquenn
    Options

Thanks!

When I started taking mine, I could BARELY get anything down. When I halfed the dose, i was able to eat and then work back up to the full dose. No worries! That medication is so wonky... it can be difficult to work with!

I'm glad this one has the ability to be halved too, in case I need to. When I'm not used to stimulants.. it's a whole new world of weird side effects. :lol: