Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Curious: If paleolithic humans gathered the plants available...

Options
Vune
Vune Posts: 672 Member
Why do we assume they didn't gather easy-to-pick grains, like wheat? Seriously, they had 50,000ish years after migrating out of Africa to discover and use them, so why do we assume they stumbled on wheat at the onset of the agricultural revolution?

Hopefully, there's a cultural anthropologist out there waiting to jump on this question. I look forward to reading the answers when I get back from vacation.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing if they were hungry they would eat anything they would find.

Pretty much the same way any of us would if they were dropped on an island like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.
  • wimdroid
    wimdroid Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Tried to find the paleolithic meat section in the supermarket....no luck.

Jokes aside, pretty confident they ate anything to survive including grains. Guess there's something to say about every angle.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Read Guns, Germs, and Steel for a 1,200 page answer to this question.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No one eats true paleo. I'm betting no one drinks unfiltered river or stream water consistently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

No one who doesn't end up with a Darwin award, anyway. >:)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    No one eats true paleo. I'm betting no one drinks unfiltered river or stream water consistently.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I'm backpacking, I'm pretty selective about when to drink without filtering, but I definitely prefer it that way. (Has to be swift flowing and close to the snow or ice it's melting from, with no human activity upstream.)
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

When I'm backpacking, I'm pretty selective about when to drink without filtering, but I definitely prefer it that way. (Has to be swift flowing and close to the snow or ice it's melting from, with no human activity upstream.)

What about animal activity upstream?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What about animal activity upstream?

My husband backpacks and snow camps, and he does the same. If you're in an area as described and there aren't herds of animals upstream, whatever natural pollution occurs will be diluted to safe levels by the incoming snow melt. There are gadgets available to test to water safety if there's a question.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

this ..

and all the people saying they make "paleo brownies" lol really? I did not know that caves came equipped with blenders and ovens...

The trickier bit would be gathering all the ingredients from around the world!

Quite. I was wondering, if even they did have cacao, did they yet know how to process it and to add sweetener to make it the delicious delicious deliciousness that would be required for a brownie?
  • theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Ive read that they probably ate from over 250 different species of plants, so a little bit of this, a little bit of that.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Ive read that they probably ate from over 250 different species of plants, so a little bit of this, a little bit of that.

This is why my bulking plan always includes literally all of the vegetables, and fruits, and meats...and potatoes.