Getting good habits

mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
I have been trying dieting in the past years and always failed. When I was given 1200 calories by doctors, I found it impossible to follow that plans because I live on my own and couldn't be buying and cooking x grams from so many different foods. Also, when I first joined MFP, tried to create my own diet plan, I was always hungry.

A couple of months ago I noticed a weight gain, so I started buying more healthy choices. I stopped buying pre-cooked food and take aways, fizzy drinks, etc. I still eat crisps, but instead of buying a big bag for myself almost on a daily basis, I buy a bag which contains six small packets and have one or two a week. Also, I changed breaded fish for fillets and other stuff like that. The only food I weigh is the pasta. I used to eat pasta 5 - 6 times a week. I don't know how much, but I was cooking approx 1/3 of a 500gms pack. I now eat 75 grams of brown pasta twice a week and make my own sauce with chopped tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. instead of buying pesto.

I just went shopping and I realised that I got used to this. I don't even remember when it was the last time that I felt hungry at night and needed snacking. I have lost a little bit of weight and I think I should start logging, but I am afraid of fail again and start over eating. Not sure if someone has been in this situation before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• mmnv79
    I hope it doesn't sound silly, but this is the first time I have lost weight, approx 6 kg in the past two months, and I haven't felt hungry, tired and without energy. In fact I feel I have more energy and I have been moving more. I am really scared of failing again.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    When it works, keep it up.
  • mmnv79
    Thanks Jerome. I am basically eating the same things but in a healthier way... Like buying individual satchels of porridge instead of a big bag of granola, chicken and turkey or veggie options instead of bacon and sausages, etc. Today I was about to buy a Linda McCartney leek pastry and when I saw it has 72% of our daily intake, I put it back. I didn't think I eat a lot (except for pasta and crisps) and I don't like sweets. But know that I have learned to read the labels, I can't believe how much calories things like pesto o granola have. I feel embarrassed.
  • Zhatan
    Zhatan Posts: 46 Member
    It's normal to feel hungry when you start cutting calories but as you have experienced you get used to it and the hunger goes away.
    My advice would be to start counting calories if you can because it is a great tool to keep your daily intake in line and you also learn which foods contain a lot of calories. Sometimes it's food you wouldn't expect.

An alternative to counting calories that I use sometimes when I don't feel like counting is just weighing my food to make sure my portions are small enough as it is easy to underestimate how much you eat.

Also chips should of course be avoided at all costs... they are terrible for weight loss as you know.
  • mmnv79
    Yeah Zhatan, I totally agree, I shouldn't be eating crisps. Although I have cut from eating a family bag a day to eating one or two individual packets of the baked ones. I was watching Shop well for less the other day and they said that eating one pack a day is like drinking five litres of cooking oil a year. So I was probably eating 25 litres a year. I don't even know how I haven't put more weight on...
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Go you! the incremental changes have made a huge difference so far for me three weeks in.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    It sounds like you have developed eating habits that are healthier and you are successfully losing weight. One thing I particularly like about what you describe is that you don't feel hungry and you haven't eliminated any foods you enjoy. As long as what you are doing leaves you feeling well and making progress towards reasonable body composition goals, I don't see a reason to change it. There is no reason to count calories if you are able to manage your intake more naturally (which you appear to be doing) and there is no reason to remove foods you enjoy from your diet, that tends to lead to binging and other negative behaviors. Good work!
  • mmnv79
    Thanks folks, it's nice to read other people's views and advice. The Cancer Bus visited my city recently and got checked (weight, fat and muscle mass, etc.). Although I am overweight fortunately my cholesterol, high pressure, etc. is perfect. I'll make an appointment next time they are in town and see what different this lifestyle have made. I am not in a hurry, even if I lose one kg a month, If I am getting nutrients instead of crap food, I am happy with that.