Help! I've got BAD diarrhea :(

Hey,
So Im new here and Ive got a really embarrassing question!

I started eating healthily two weeks ago (previously I constantly ate junk food). Ever since I started, I'v had problems going to the toilet.

I've been having bad diarrhea 6 or 7 times a day, with a really bad urgency where I feel like Im not going to make it to the bathroom. I've got gurgling and cramping in my guts and even when I've been to the toilet I still feel full and uncomfortable.

Has anyone had this problem? How do I stop it? I hate having the runs all the time :(

Thanks in advance,
Kayla (f19)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Take some immodium while you try and figure out the problem. Be sure you're getting enough hydration. Going that much can turn into a serious issue.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    My first reaction is that diarrhea for 2 weeks is serious and you should get to a physician right away.

That said, changes in diet can lead to digestive upset. It sounds like you made a radical change in what you're eating.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    The doctor will ask you if you are taking any herbs/teas and supplements. Log them on here in case he wants to see your diary (just about all doctors know about MFP).

You are not taking a detoxing tea are you?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Talk to your pharmacist and get yourself some pedialite, gastrolyte or Gatorade. I had an episode last weekend and my first concern was to hydrate with a balanced electrolyte mix. With some thought I chose to finish off about 600 ml of water doctored with gastrolyte and about a tablespoon of sugar. I kept drinking more water for the next 48 hours.

Something you are eating even though you think it is healthy is messing with you.

After rehydrating go back to your junk food diet (sure, log it) until things settle down and then add your healthy things back in one at a time until you find your culprit.
  • seasidechoices
    seasidechoices Posts: 3 Member
    The doctor will ask you if you are taking any herbs/teas and supplements. Log them on here in case he wants to see your diary (just about all doctors know about MFP).

You are not taking a detoxing tea are you?

Nope - Im not taking anything like that at all :/
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I would talk to your doctor about it just to make sure things are okay. It's probably your change in food that is causing it but it shouldn't go on for two weeks.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    BRAT diet. The doctor may mention this when you call for an appointment in case he can't see you that day. https://www.oregonclinic.com/diets-BRAT Bananas, Rice, Apples and Toast.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited July 2017
    Are you logging everything? What have you been eating that you weren't before? When does the episode start? Is it around tbe same time everyday? Could there be something that you eat that causes an issue within an hour or so? Are you sore between bouts? Is there a lot of painful cramping or just very loose bowels?
    Tracking all of these can help pinpoint the reason for the sudden issues, and help your Dr. Track it. This is how I found out I can't eat soy, super greasy foods, and hot dog or related foods anymore.

It might be good to move to a basic BRAT diet for a few days till things settle down, and start adding in one ttoe of food a day, until.you know what you can't handle.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    Immodium
    Sip ginger ale
    Try a bit of chicken noodle soup

If it continues after that ... doctor.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Can you open your food diary?

You mention eating "healthier". How much fat and protein are you eating daily?
  • seasidechoices
    seasidechoices Posts: 3 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    Are you logging everything? What have you been eating that you weren't before? When does the episode start? Is it around tbe same time everyday? Could there be something that you eat that causes an issue within an hour or so? Are you sore between bouts? Is there a lot of painful cramping or just very loose bowels?
    Tracking all of these can help pinpoint the reason for the sudden issues, and help your Dr. Track it. This is how I found out I can't eat soy, super greasy foods, and hot dog or related foods anymore.

It might be good to move to a basic BRAT diet for a few days till things settle down, and start adding in one ttoe of food a day, until.you know what you can't handle.

No it's just randomly throughout the day. I will feel ok then suddenly Im dying for the toilet and only just make it in time. I get cramps just before I go to the toilet but generally my stomach just feels really loose.

When Ive been to the toilet I still feel really bloated and full, and sometimes I have to go again within 10 mins. Nobody in my house is sick.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    See a doctor. Having loose stool for that long is indicative of a problem. It may be as simple as intolerance to something you introduced to your diet lately or something else that may need medical intervention and food rules like IBD. Have you increased your vegetable or fat consumption suddenly? Introduced anything new? Are you eating something more often than you did before dieting? In any case, see a doctor and keep well hydrated.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Did you start using artificial sweeteners?Sometimes they have that affect.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited July 2017
    Having the squits for two weeks sounds like food poisoning but you really should see a doctor rather than asking us.

But yes if you are eating too many sugar alcohols (maltitol,sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, isomalt to name a few) that can have a laxative effect. They are sugar substitutes rather than artificial sweeteners and a common ingredient in sugar free/low sugar foods. Just read the Amazon reviews for sugar free Haribo for a great example (and a laugh :))

Drink plenty of fluids including something with electrolytes - whether the sachets for diarrhoea or sports drinks with electrolytes or just chicken broth or something a bit salty. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if its been 2 weeks, see a doctor.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    See a doctor. As others have said, if you've ben logging show a copy of your food diary. Two weeks of random squits are not normal. However, if you've suddenly incorporated a lot of fruit, veg and fibre to your diet where previously you had virtually none then no wonder your gastric tract is confused!

I developed a problem with bloating and painful trapped wind from eating apples - despite the fact I grew up eating them. As they are fine if peeled and/or cooked, it must be something in the skin (possibly pesticides etc which cannot be washed off as they become absorbed). Stopped eating unpeeled apples - problem went away!