Ménière's disease

Options
I have read the forums for several years, but never posted. I was wondering if there's anyone else out there with Ménière's disease? In addition to having to keep sodium low, I've found that going too long without eating (like "banking" calories for a big dinner) is a trigger for vertigo. Anyone else out there have this weird disease, and associated diet dilemmas?

Replies

• gnatseyelashes
    gnatseyelashes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have Meniere's - I do not, my sister does. She eats no processed foods or added salt and cannot tolerate any caffeine (cokes, coffee, tea, chocolate). Like you, she cannot skip meals and keeps salt-free crackers in her purse. She gets an attack (vertigo) if she gets too dehydrated or hot (which is hard, as you know) she's on diuretics. Because food doesn't very good without salt, she lost 20lbs.

If no one on MFP can help you, you might find an online support group.

I wish for you, all the very best.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't have Ménière's, I'm told, but I am into month 3 of unrelenting, severe vertigo. So you have my empathy. It's a real horror.
  • HitTheRoad
    HitTheRoad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am in a Facebook support group, as I've never met anyone in real life with this. They are very helpful overall, and particularly good about suggesting low sodium foods, but I wondered particularly if anyone had vertigo attacks with weight loss. I'm mostly in maintenance now, after losing 30lbs, but had 3 months of terrible vertigo after losing the first 20. I wonder if it was the hunger itself, or maybe a mild nutrient deficiency that caused it (I tried to eat a balanced diet, but on 1500 kcal, if I ate a treat, the rest of my diet that day was probably a little lacking). And I find maintenance a little tough, as I need regularly to eat to avoid vertigo, though I'd rather be hungry during the day and have a good dinner. Just wondering if there's anyone else out there like me.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My sister has Menieres. She tried the shots (ouch) but had the most success after she saw a chiropractor. She's driving again. At one point she was crawling on all fours to get around (with infant twins). Have you seen a chiropractor?