Hunger during recomp/maintenance

So I guess I'm going to be hungry? I've been vigilantly tracking, and potentially eating a little too much actually, because my clothes aren't getting looser. But I didn't expect to still be hungry, even eating higher calories.

I'm still emotionally having trouble with the 'weight gain' during this recomp, which I know is probably mostly water retention. I'm debating lowering my calories a smidge, but I really don't want to derail my progress I've been making in the gym. I've been increasing weight and doing awesome in that respect.

Some stats- 34 years old, 5'3, 138 lbs, probably around 30% BF, goal is around 25%, which should be around 125-128lbs. I'm currently not muscular at all, I just started a lifting program, and had previously been doing Pilates. Breastfeeding my 18 month old 4x a day. Been doing around 2100 calories per day. Thinking of going down to 1900ish.

Would dropping to 1900 effect my strength/muscle gain? I eat 135g protein per day.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Don't lower calories because of what you yourself believe to be a water weight related increase!
    because my clothes aren't getting looser.
    Over what timescale?
    I've been increasing weight and doing awesome in that respect.
    When you are fairly new to a routine those rapid strength increases are mostly due to your nervous system adapting (firing more of your existing muscle fibres and firing them harder) - not actually in relation to muscle mass increases. There's also the aspect of improving technique and confidence that lets you lift more.
    Strength increase due to actual muscle gain is slow.

For gaining muscle, whether during recomp or not, patience is required.

As for hunger - if it's genuine hunger and you are also feeling tired or fatigued I would experiment with increasing calories so see if you can maintain at a higher allowance. Calories in has an effect on calories out if it stops you down regulating your NEAT subconsciously.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you are doing recomp, you should expect to stay at 138(ish) but reduce your bodyfat%

• Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Don't lower calories because of what you yourself believe to be a water weight related increase!
    because my clothes aren't getting looser.
    Over what timescale?
    I've been increasing weight and doing awesome in that respect.
    When you are fairly new to a routine those rapid strength increases are mostly due to your nervous system adapting (firing more of your existing muscle fibres and firing them harder) - not actually in relation to muscle mass increases. There's also the aspect of improving technique and confidence that lets you lift more.
    Strength increase due to actual muscle gain is slow.

For gaining muscle, whether during recomp or not, patience is required.

As for hunger - if it's genuine hunger and you are also feeling tired or fatigued I would experiment with increasing calories so see if you can maintain at a higher allowance. Calories in has an effect on calories out if it stops you down regulating your NEAT subconsciously.

Thank you, that makes sense! I've noticed since I started doing maintenance/recomp that I have more energy and I'm sure I've increased my NEAT.

I stopped doing WW (probably a 300-500 deficit) the first week of June, so it's been almost 2 months. My clothes fit basically the same, maybe a little tighter.

One thing is that I have random higher calorie days (the occasional date night, etc), maybe once every week or two, and it's with foods that are hard to estimate, and I haven't been doing lower calorie days to compensate for that. Do people on maintenance/recomp do any slightly calorie days to compensate for higher ones?

Thanks!
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    i try and average my calorie intake over a week so if i have a higher day i have a lower one to compensate.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    What about protein shake vs real food for post workout... I've been doing a whey shake, but maybe eggs or something would be more filling?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That aspect of either planning or balancing is really a life lesson.

Too many end up slowly gaining fat because they think, and indeed may be, eating at maintenance in general for most days.
    It's that every other week thing of unknown but for sure higher calories that slowly but surely adds fat weight.

Or as ones get older and more busy or sitting more and exercise/play less - they fail to compensate by eating less - the effect is the same.

If you have planned a night out, smaller breakfast/lunch - perhaps more active leading up to it - then don't worry about that one meal basically.
    For sure don't weigh the morning or two after of course.