Maintaining weight - need advice

Options
Hello there people,

Could you please help me with some advices? I am 1kg Away from my goal(65kg) and I'm Thinking about the
Number of calories for maintaining weight. Now I have 1200 calories + exercises but I saw that for maintaining I will have 1810 :|
Isn't a bit much?
I few days ago I had a meal in town, some fish and veggies with Noodles (Adrian stuff) and by far that i consumed 100 calories over my target (1200) and I put 0,600 g.
I am really confused. I took my time searching on forum regarding the number of calories that you will have and how to consume it, baby steps...you know but still.
Thank you for your time

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    add 100 cals per week till you get to 1800 and see what the scale does.

you should have a maintenance range not one number, to account for normal fluctuations.
  • georgiabala
    georgiabala Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad -thank you very much!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You aren't going to be able to look at your weight day-to-day in maintenance any more than you can in weight loss. It's a trend over the weeks and months.

Many use a maintenance range rather than specific weight. So for a goal of 65 kg you might use 64-67 kg or 63-66 kg. If you go out of range, change your daily calorie goal by 250 and eat that for a while until you get back into range.

As for the number of calories you need for maintenance, the online calculators can only give you an estimate. Besides that, your estimates for calories in and calories out may be as accurate as you can make them but they won't ever be spot-on. Figure out your maintenance calories yourself by adding 100 calories to your daily goal (so for you that would be a new goal of 1300 + exercise) and eating that for a couple of weeks or a month to see if you keep losing weight. If you do, add another 100 calories and repeat the process until you either maintain or gain. If you gain, cut 100 calories from your daily goal.

Finding maintenance is basically a long-term science experiment.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I find I can maintain on 1800 calories but I have to be honest and keep logging everything. I also log and eat back all of my exercise calories. Last year I put on a few lbs on an all-inclusive vacation, but this year I actually maintained despite being quite naughty as we did a lot of walking (and I didn't necessarily log every "stroll" rather than "walk").
    I only weigh myself every couple of months, instead I measure once a week or so. If my measurements increase by more than half an inch from when I was at goal weight I cut back to 1650 and/or up the exercise (as it tends to be from being unable to exercise as much as I'm used to) until I'm happy with it. Also if I forget to measure and put on something which seems tighter than it should( used to fit - why not now?), I do the full weigh/measure to check where the problem is.
    As seska422 says, start with the estimate and then adjust until you are happy.
  • georgiabala
    georgiabala Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much guys!!!
    ❤️❤️❤️