BPI Amino Nutrition Question

Options
When I look this product up, a few different entries appear. One says a serving is 10 calories, another one says a serving is 29 calories. So I tried looking it up on the BPI website itself and all it lists under nutrition facts is this, which is the label on the can. How on earth do I know how many calories and/or carbs are actually in this? Thanks!

5xs7q1f7fagv.jpg

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would really love to know the answer, and no one is responding to you. I looked up other products and it looks like maybe 35 calories.

I WOULD NOT TRUST A PRODUCT THAT CAN'T EVEN GET THEIR LABEL RIGHT. Even walmart.com is showing this label without calories.
    This could possibly make the consumer reports fail list. Even a can of diet mt. dew shows 5 calories.

Try asking under gaining weight/bodybuilding section. Inquiry minds want to know.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Most amino/BCAA supps have nearly no calories. some have actually none.

61YYRSS9G8L.jpg
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This isn't a label fail, it's a loophole. Since it's a supplement, not a food, they don't have to report calories or macronutrients. They don't even have to tell you how much of what ingredients are in the product if they don't want to. The CLA matrix is a proprietary blend so they give you a total amount in grams and list several ingredients. How much of each ingredient do you get? Your guess is as good as mine. Additionally, branch chain amino acids are allowed to be labeled as calorie free despite the fact they do indeed contain calories so you are not going to get a definitive answer as to how many calories the supplement contains. I would use the highest value you find to be safe.

The bigger question is why are you taking the product in the first place? BCAAs are only useful when your diet is deficient in protein. If you get adequate protein they don't do anything. If you are deficient, buying something like whey protein is cheaper and more effective than BCAAs in correcting that deficiency. Or you could just eat more protein in your diet. There really aren't any good reasons to waste money on BCAAs.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have heard that many times "BCAA's are only needed if you are deficient in protein". I had no idea supplements did not have to report calories.. Got's my answer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If your protein intake is sufficient, then you don't NEED to take amino acids. Don't fall for all the broscience hype.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png