Eating While Driving

Options

Replies

• theresejesu
    theresejesu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I have witnessed a woman driving on a crowded highway, using both hands to hold a cheese burger and driving with her elbows. No good.

Knees i can understand, but elbows?
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I honestly have never had the desire to eat while driving. To me, eating while being distracted while driving is a waste of calories since I wouldn't be enjoying the food as much as I could if I were focusing my attention on eating. The existence of drive-thrus is something that puzzles me to this day. Whenever I'm hungry, going through one to get something isn't a thought that ever really crosses my mind. Instead, I usually just think something along the lines of, "I'm hungry. I better get home so that I can get something to eat." To be fair, my parents never used the drive-thu when I was little, so I guess that I never got accustomed to it. We always went inside when we are fast food.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat while driving. When I do, it's something like a chunk of hard cheese, or something I can put in a container beside me that I can reach without looking (carrots, grapes, sugar snap peas). Fast food, only the fries and the bag is positioned in such a way that I don't have to look. Burgers, I either park or wait until I get where I'm going.
  • KimmalyS
    KimmalyS Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's fine
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    KimmalyS wrote: »
    Sure, it's fine

Hope you don't kill someone with your distracted driving.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I only do it on rare occasions, and mainly limited to simple things like cereal bars. Some of that may be related to my overall driving experience (only 4.5 years of driving on my own).
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I never eat in the car because of the mess. My vehicles are always clean inside and out, I often take clients and coworkers in them and that way I never have to apologize about the condition of my car.

I like the act of eating, much more enjoyable when you can actually sit down and concentrate on the meal.

This is all in addition to the safety reasons for not eating in the car.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    No eating in my car! It's hard enough to keep clean with 3 kids! They are not allowed to eat or drink... even those little lollipops they get at the bank somehow I find later stuck on the carpet or in between the seats.

I do sip coffee from a travel mug, but it has a spring loaded lid that snaps open with the push of a button and snaps closed.

I find talking on the phone, even speakerphone the most distracting thing ever when driving. Kids in the back doesn't bother me. I just tell them I'm driving and ignore them.

I do have an exception when we drive from VA to NY. I let the kids eat a non messy meal and water to save time (instead of stopping for a meal). I may eat a protein bar if I'm really hungry, but most of the time I can wait.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I make time before/after arriving at my destination to eat. If it's long distance? Maybe I'll have something drinkable, or something I can set down on the seat next to me so I'm not holding it the whole time. But this is only in circumstances where I need something to eat or I'll lose focus driving due to hunger.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I used to work 3rd shift when my daughter was young, and I had a 55 min commute home. I found that falling asleep at the wheel was much more dangerous than eating in the car. I ended up drinking water and peeling and eating oranges - that seemed to be the best to help me stay awake. Luckily I never injured anyone, but I came close many times to rear ending someone/running red light/passing school buses etc. I was terrified and took a huge cut in pay to get a day shift job as soon as I could.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Road Trip !!

7ba16a1718f3de107d3ce16e097b9867.jpg
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I have witnessed a woman driving on a crowded highway, using both hands to hold a cheese burger and driving with her elbows. No good.

Her elbows? Amateur! Thats what your left knee is for. sheesh.

Really though I had a really awful experience just taking a sip of soda at the drive thru. I took a sip while stopping waiting for my order and for what ever reason it felt like it was tearing up my esophagus (worst physical pain I've ever felt) as it was going down. I got my order, caught my breath and pulled forward to get out of the way (trying not to make a big deal). Started to feel funny so went to throw the car into park but it was too late and I woke up to a bunch of people trying to get in to my car. The car crossed 4 lanes of traffic and turned another car on its side. The moments before learning no one was killed were the most terrifying seconds. It could have been so much worse and it haunts me. The guy hopped out of his car and refused care at the scene but is having problems now :'(
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find driving my niece and nephew around FAR more distracting than having some dry cereal or a small sandwich in the car.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat while I drive sometimes. Nothing that's messy or requires 2 hands, but a cheeseburger or something is fine. I also drive stick.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My opinion: Anything that takes your hands off the wheel and your eyes off the road is dangerous. I don't buy the argument that you don't have time to eat unless it's in the car.

What's your opinion?

I drive one-handed constantly while not doing anything except listening to the radio. So what.

tomteboda wrote: »
    Honestly, I find driving my niece and nephew around FAR more distracting than having some dry cereal or a small sandwich in the car.

OMG, True story. Kids are the worst distraction.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    My opinion: Anything that takes your hands off the wheel and your eyes off the road is dangerous. I don't buy the argument that you don't have time to eat unless it's in the car.

What's your opinion?

I drive one-handed constantly while not doing anything except listening to the radio. So what.

They should make having kids in the car illegal!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

What's your opinion?

They should make MAKING kids in the car illegal. At least if you're driving.

I don't think you can get pregnant from oral sex.
    Wait..can you????
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

What's your opinion?

Then what would cab drivers do?