what can i do with a broken toe?

Options
2»

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I broke my little toe and continued on with my walking.

ack! mine bends side to side now too. yikes. i hope you're all healed up now!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It kind of depends on how bad it is broken and how you handle injuries. What did your doctor say?

I have a broken finger right now and I'm still lifting since I have a powerlifting meet in a week. I broke my ankle and my pelvis in 2005 (both very bad breaks), but I continued to run and be active. Others might not be able to do that and others have worked through worse.

you're amazing, i cannot imagine running on a broken ankle. the doc at the urgent care just said there's not much to be done for a broken toe except wrapping it and staying off of it. it's starting to hurt a bit less now, so i'm going to get back in the gym and test the waters on monday. earlier this week the pain was really bad and i felt extremely limited, but now that it's backing off and you guys have been super helpful with your anecdotes i feel more confident about activity. thanks :)
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Swim
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    It kind of depends on how bad it is broken and how you handle injuries. What did your doctor say?

I have a broken finger right now and I'm still lifting since I have a powerlifting meet in a week. I broke my ankle and my pelvis in 2005 (both very bad breaks), but I continued to run and be active. Others might not be able to do that and others have worked through worse.

you're amazing, i cannot imagine running on a broken ankle. the doc at the urgent care just said there's not much to be done for a broken toe except wrapping it and staying off of it. it's starting to hurt a bit less now, so i'm going to get back in the gym and test the waters on monday. earlier this week the pain was really bad and i felt extremely limited, but now that it's backing off and you guys have been super helpful with your anecdotes i feel more confident about activity. thanks :)

I did the same thing with my ankle and foot: chip and fracture continued to workout. The real issue came a year later when I tore my peroneus brevis tendon in the same ankle. Now in order for me to feel ok on the ankle it has to be inflamed otherwise it feels like someone is slowly cutting my ankle with a hot knife. I also contribute tearing both my calf muscles along with a partial tear of the same tendon in the other ankle. If you feel discomfort, take it easy. The injury might not worsen but you could easily create a more serious one down the line.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I broke my little toe and continued on with my walking.

ack! mine bends side to side now too. yikes. i hope you're all healed up now!

My toe stayed like for a couple of years. I recently had surgery where they inserted a steel rod to straighten it back up again, so now it's nice and straight again. After the surgery, the doctor said walk as much as is comfortable.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions. Thanks!