Favorite Then and Now

Options
bmeadows380
bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
edited July 2017 in Chit-Chat
I've found an old series from the late 80's on DVD that I had loved as a child, and have been bing-watching them this week. I've fallen in love with the show all over again, finding the magic again with fresh eyes, but have been surprised to find that my perceptions are different as an adult than they were as a child.

It is interesting to revisit favorite books, movies, tv shows, etc, and see how my perception of them has changed. Some things, like the tv show mentioned above, I still love, but other things I scratch my head and wonder "what did I ever see in that? (MacGyver, for example....).
so the question is twofold:

1) What are some of your favorite TV shows, movies, games, books, etc. from your younger days?

2) how has your perception of the series changed - do you still like the show? Has your favorite characters or episodes changed?

In answer to my own question:

The show I was bing-watching was Bordertown, shown on the Family Channel from 1989 - 1991. It's a western set in a fictional town divided by the US/Canandian border, and had a mountie and a US marshal assigned to the town to represent the law of their respective countries. The mountie and the marshal were friends but also rivals for the heart of the local doctor, a woman who also ran the general store (her husband had been a doctor and she his nurse, but when he died, there was no one else to care for folks, so she read her husband's medical books and took over helping people).

As an adult now, I have found that I still love the show, but that my favorite character has changed - as a child, I loved the mountie (and still thinks he's excellent eye candy!), but as an adult, my favorite is now the marshal.

Replies

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Approximately every few years, I watch every A-Team episode again!

I dislike that, they used the same set; quite regularly!
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    TV: I try to watch as little TV as possible. Wife and I are presently streaming The Americans (which is not by any means an 'old' series).

Movies: I'll always have an appreciation for 80s and 90s comedies. Unfortunately there aren't many ways to perceive these movies, so my perception hasn't changed.

Books: I'm presently re-reading Tony Robbins' Awaken the Giant Within (1991), IMO one of the best "you-can-do-it" books in existence. Tony Robbins' last couple books have been focused on finance, which disappoints me--he's at his best when he's pushing people to be successful in life.

Games: Very rarely do I play a video game newer than, say, 2005. NES and Super Nintendo are my favorite game systems. The value of older video games was long-term playability. Most modern games are more like movies, in that you play them through the end, then never play them again.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hey, @MeeseeksAndDestroy a good VHS discussion for you.

You're welcome.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    For me it seems that all of my 80s childhood favorites (movies like Sixteen Candles, TV shows like Facts of Life and Family Ties) remain untainted and awesome.

But 90s stuff...totally different to me now. I spent the 90s as a teen and college student being so jaded to most mainstream things and pretty oblivious to it, so I feel like I'm seeing most of it for the first time ever actually (Seinfeld, Friends) but when I watch 90s movies they are hilariously innocent and weird compared to now. A couple of cheesy thrillers that I loved back then and still enjoy are The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and Single White Female. They seem utterly silly now compared to back then, though, which I think is a mix of me being an adult and it being 2017...
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Old Nickelodeon cartoons from the 90s I'll rewatch with my brand new adult eyes. Not much has really changed in my perceptions to be honest. It's like revisiting old feelings had before.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Fresh Prince=awesome then, awesome now. The Carlton dance never gets old :D
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @forward0backward

I loved Animaniacs back in the 90's, and managed in recent years to get my hands on the DVDs. I still love them now! *sigh* the best cartoons were made in the 80's and 90's......
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    Fresh Prince=awesome then, awesome now. The Carlton dance never gets old :D

8k3d2l56357e.gif

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I can watch re-runs of Friends all the time (it's on some channel almost all the time), but what is funny is that my friends kids that are in the ages of 13-15 are starting to watch the re-runs now and love it.

I am not one that can read books over, just too many other options. I have read The Outsiders 10 times or so though. I fell in love with it when I was 13 and still like it 30 some years later. No real perception change, but it was set in the past even when I read it the first time. The movie was awesome too, all those stars that weren't A listers yet.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    And I agree, the Carlton dance never gets old!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I can watch re-runs of Friends all the time (it's on some channel almost all the time), but what is funny is that my friends kids that are in the ages of 13-15 are starting to watch the re-runs now and love it.

I am not one that can read books over, just too many other options. I have read The Outsiders 10 times or so though. I fell in love with it when I was 13 and still like it 30 some years later. No real perception change, but it was set in the past even when I read it the first time. The movie was awesome too, all those stars that weren't A listers yet.

Did you know that "Danny Boy" from the 90s group House of Pain has purchased and is restoring the house used in the Outsiders movie, as an Outsiders museum? It's in Tulsa, OK where the movie was filmed. So cool. They keep having various fundraisers & stuff, and many of the actors from the film have stopped by as well as S.E. Hinton herself <3

(I live semi nearby that area and visit often or I wouldn't know this hehe)

• _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    @forward0backward

I loved Animaniacs back in the 90's, and managed in recent years to get my hands on the DVDs. I still love them now! *sigh* the best cartoons were made in the 80's and 90's......

Kinda really. I'm a 90s girl but I remember watching Smurfs too haha

I haven't seen Animaniacs in years
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    A co-worker informs me that they're re-making It. You know, "It", with the creepy clown.

It "could" be great, or it could be a disaster on wheels. But finding out is half the fun, right?
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    the wire and the wire
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    A co-worker informs me that they're re-making It. You know, "It", with the creepy clown.

It "could" be great, or it could be a disaster on wheels. But finding out is half the fun, right?

Have you seen the trailer? Very creepy. I hope it doesn't disappoint!
  • patrick_star_trek
    patrick_star_trek Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    dpakfmf1jwqx.gif