C25K--Starting August 1

Options
Hi everyone. I am heading to an international conference, so can't participate in the C25K challenge that is beginning Sunday on these boards. If anyone wants to plan ahead and start with me on August 1, let me know. I am using the iPhone App to keep track for me.

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    The iPhone app is awesome!!!! Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I can walk 5K in about 35-45 minutes depending on humidity (live in OK), but the jogging part is hard on this middle-aged body. :mad: I want to give it a try, but I am the type who needs someone to hold me accountable with the exercise. So this challenge.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I will bump and think about it. I've been thinking about it...just haven't made that final decision to do it. So, I"ve got 3 weeks to make the decision. I do need running shoes first though.
  • fxdl2k2
    Options
    bump
  • charmwhite
    charmwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Tammy! I'm thinking of starting the C25K in the next week or so because there is a 5km run on Rottnest Island here in Western Australia at the end of October. I'll start with you on August 1st! My boyfriend might join us but I'm yet to convince him to sign up for MFP :) Will also be using the iPhone app to track since I've had such great success already tracking nutrition with MFP. Starting to wonder what life was like before iPhones :)
  • charmwhite
    Options
    Hi Tammy! I'm thinking of starting the C25K in the next week or so because there is a 5km run on Rottnest Island here in Western Australia at the end of October. I'll start with you on August 1st! My boyfriend might join us but I'm yet to convince him to sign up for MFP :) Will also be using the iPhone app to track since I've had such great success already tracking nutrition with MFP. Starting to wonder what life was like before iPhones :)
  • charmwhite
    Options
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to join! I just did W1D3 yesterday, but I'm still going at a snail's pace by the end and feel like I'm dying, so I know I'll need at least one more week, if not two, before I advance to Week 2.

My problem is pure cardio: I just can't breathe well by the end. Being a mile high here in Colorado is probably a huge factor! :laugh: But my muscles felt fine yesterday, and I'm not even sore today! (Not yet, at least!)

I don't have an iPhone, I just downloaded a podcast to my mp3 player for the workout itself. I printed off the C25K schedule and put it on my fridge, and I cross off the workouts as I complete them - more accurately, I cross them off as I chug ice water from out of the fridge! It feels really good to cross them off, too! :bigsmile:
  • Kirina88
    Kirina88 Posts: 2
    Options
    I think a goal like this is just what I need to kick myself into high gear. I've been chugging along so slowly as of late, the beginning of the summer was just about maintaining my weight, but I haven't lost any. I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm, however, which is never a good sign. I have started walking to my part time job, a nice 10 minutes each way, but I work at an ice cream parlor.. big temptation there sometimes.
    I've been (mostly) good though, and have made a deal with my boyfriend: We'll split one shake or one medium ice once a week from my job as a summer time treat.
    Now I just need another cardio workout to throw in, since i work 4 days a week and the walk is enough to energize me, but not enough to help my weight loss endeavor.
    Hopefully i can find my enthusiasm again. I have told my parents (whom i live with) that I'm going to cook dinner 2 nights a week, since cooking in my zen, and it lets me control what i eat, and can also give me time to prep breakfast for the busy mornings of the week.

Good luck everyone with your journeys!
  • fxdl2k2
    Options
    Hi everyone, back in the USA and ready to get started (almost). Jet lag is kicking my butt today. I was in Australia for this conference Charm. My first trip down under. Even in winter, I was thrilled with the scenery. Spent time in Albury-Wodonga and Sydney. I walked between 5 and 15 miles each day while gone, but the wine and afternoon tea did not help losing weight any. Not sure where I am exactly as it will take me about a week to get back to normal after the travel. I will be doing the C25K on an elliptical as it is over 100 degrees where I live and the humidity is around 70% all the time. My personal goal is to be able to run/jog the full 5K by the beginning of October. I also want to lose a minimum of 40 pounds by the end of the year. What are your goals?
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    I'd simply be happy with being able to run/jog for a full half hour. Once I can do that, I'll probably work on improving my speed/distance. I wouldn't mind running the BolderBoulder one day, but it's 10k, so it'll probably be a year or two. Maybe I'll find somebody who's willing to just walk it with me next May....

I would also like to reach my goal weight this year. I've lost 20lbs in the last two years, going up and down a bit, but I've mostly been stuck. It's SO hard to lose the last 5-10! :(
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'd love to join you. I just started week 1 day 1 yesterday and will be doing day 2 tomorrow but I can't always exercise 3 days per week so I'm not really ahead.

I only have the option to run outside so weather affects my schedule and I can generally only get outside wed-sun anyway so we'll see how that goes.

I'll say that yesterday was not easy for me, the terrain I run on is slightly hilly and the way it worked out my last 3 runs of the set were uphill. I'm quite sore in my quads today but all in all happy that I did it without needing to take a break and determined to finish the whole program.
  • meokk
    Options
    I completed Week 1 Day 2 this evening.
    Anybody else out there?????

Very sore but proud that I made myself do it. Hopefully soreness will subside before I do Day 3 on Wednesday.
  • meokk
    Options

I don't have an iPhone, I just downloaded a podcast to my mp3 player for the workout itself. I printed off the C25K schedule and put it on my fridge, and I cross off the workouts as I complete them - more accurately, I cross them off as I chug ice water from out of the fridge! It feels really good to cross them off, too! :bigsmile:

Hi Pixiegoddess,
    A friend of mine would like to do this using a downloaded podcast too. Would you recommend the one you have? What's the name?

Thank you!!!!!!
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    There are some links to podcasts on the C25K website http://www.c25k.com/ Just scroll down and look for the Podcasts header. I use the ones by Robert Ullrey, the first one listed. I really like them. Upbeat techno music, and Robert tells you when to run and walk, and even gives a couple of motivational phrases.

Well, I finished Week 1 for the second time this weekend, and feel ready to move on to Week 2 tonight! I'm very excited! I was also looking at the BolderBoulder website and found out they have a 5k ColderBolder in December so I think I'm making that my goal! Even if I take 2 weeks for every week, I'll still finish the program in time. My run time probably won't be that great if I DO take 2 weeks for every week, since I won't have extra time to work on speed, but it'll still be nice to run it and finish a race, plus it's only $25! :)
  • fxdl2k2
    Options
    With temperatures hovering around 105 and heat indices of 115+, I had to wait until I returned to work today to use the air conditioned gym. I will start Week 1 Day 1 this afternoon.

Congrats to those who have started already!
  • fxdl2k2
    Options
    OK, 106 air temp and the AC was out in the gym causing it to close due to excessive heat. So, home and did core workout instead of C25K day 1. Maybe tomorrow. :grumble:
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Did W2D1 last night...with a VERY strong headwind :angry: So it was somewhat painful, but not too bad; doable. Also, I used Gmaps Pedometer (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/) to map my approximate route, and I'm walking/running about 2.28 miles, already up from the approximate 2.16mi from Week 1 :bigsmile:
  • fxdl2k2
    Options
    Good for you Pixie!
  • saraegentry
    saraegentry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do this! I think I'm going to start today :) I went jogging last night, but not on "the plan", I didn't completely die though, so I think I'll start on W1D2 tonight!
    There's a 5K on October 2nd I can sign up for... nervous, but I think this will help keep me on track with exercising!