Couch To 5K Challenge

Options

Replies

• LadyAngelLight
    Options
    I'm walking in a 5k in 2weeks :-) my son is going to run it then come back to finish walking with me. Im pretty excited but nervous at the same time I have to finish it .. Just hope I can do it the same night lol. I've been walking every night a little farther every day, and I have other people walking to so I won't be alone so that'll help too.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to start this for ages just unable to get the app, my phones had it's day and the minute I switch on open network it dies :(....which stinks, apparently you can download it onto an mp3 player I'm just looking into it.but I'm defo up for it :)
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    FOR ANYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE APP!!!

I made an excel spreadsheet of the 9 week workout schedule... it is two pages, you can print it out and put them on your wall and check off the box when you are done that days workout.... if you would like me to email you the spread sheet shoot me a message with your email address. Can't wait to start tomorrow!!!!!!!
  • elly610
    elly610 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I just finished level 2 of 30DS on Friday. Starting level 3 tomorrow. I also started C25K yesterday.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Totally in for this- was just looking at it yesterday so this is the perfect time and kick in the butt I needed to start it. Please put me in the group too!
  • golfergirl92
    golfergirl92 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just started it last Wednesday! On Day 3 tomorrow. Also doing MWF for workouts. I have the app on my iPod and it lets me listen to Pandora while I do it. Gives you a little ringtone and says "Start walking" or "Start running". It's very handy to have, and I don't feel like I'm trying to run too hard and wear myself out with the intervals. Feel free to add me! :)
  • forsupport
    Options
    This is awesome !!!!.... I wanted something like this to get started. I'm new to MFP .. just joined today.. but loving it already :) Downloading the C25k app as i write on my BB... would love to start and join you all tomorrow
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I started week 4 today. I was so chuffed to run for 5 mins straight. If you are new to running (as in didn't do it when you were younger/fitter whatever) remember to control your breathing. Don't try and breathe on every step (you'll get dizzy), keep it controlled and it makes it easier. I listen to my music and I sing along (without actually singing out loud, no need to upset the people in my gym lol) and if I can't do it then I am hitting it to hard and pull the speed down a bit.

Good luck to you. I really like it :)
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    FOR ANYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE APP!!!

I made an excel spreadsheet of the 9 week workout schedule... it is two pages, you can print it out and put them on your wall and check off the box when you are done that days workout.... if you would like me to email you the spread sheet shoot me a message with your email address. Can't wait to start tomorrow!!!!!!!
  • sarah32lee
    sarah32lee Posts: 5,279 Member
    Options
    yay!! im gonna start tomorrow too and i also want to do the 30 day shred! friend me if u want :)
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I just completed Week 2; Day 1 this evening. Loving it! For us it's exercise & family time - we take turns pushing our (almost) 3 year old son in the stroller.

I don't have a smart phone so I listen to a podcast and direct our runs with that. There's lots of different ones out there, so download a couple to see that you like. Since I run with other people I needed one with music that wasn't so... techno.... This is the one that works best so far: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

Good luck to everyone! Feel free to add me if you want to compare notes.

Edit to add direct link to the podcast (free through iTunes) http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    I did day one this morning. Im seriously outta shape got half way and had a hard time catchin my breath so i paused it walked 5 mins and got back into it. 2 times i didnt do the full 60 seconds i did 45 but after i was done i was soo proud of myself!! I did it! Than goodness for a breaktomorrow for running haha hopfully i can do the pool or zumba tomorrow. But if this girl whos got 150 plus pounds to lose can do it you can too!! Feel free to add me anyone i will need all the motivation i can to reach all goals!!

Lindsey
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Awesome job everyone!!! I did my Day 6 30DS workout and then went straight into the C25K workout... I only made it halfway (skipped warmup and went straight into jogging)... but Wednesday I will kick *kitten*!! My face looked like a tomato and still does after a cold shower... and my clothes are soaked in sweat... feeling AMAZING!
  • sarah32lee
    sarah32lee Posts: 5,279 Member
    Options
    W1d1 done!!! Yay me!! :)
  • seraphinelle
    seraphinelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is this supposed to be running outside or for the treadmill?

I just bought new shoes, but actually opted for shoes mostly for training and running on the treadmill at the very most.

I have just introduced a 5K run 3 times a week. (Mon, Wed, Fri) I've only done last Friday, and today.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I would like running better if I didn't get out of breath so fast!

That means you are running too fast. Zombies aren't chasing you, so slow down. I am on week 8 and had to learn this also. Your run should be slow and steady. Speed comes later.

Good luck with the program.
  • robynn412
    robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good job to all of you for jumping into this!!! Tomorrow is Week 7, Day 1 for me, and I just wanted to cheer you all on!!! You can absolutely do this...I never in a million thought I could run, let alone make it through this program, and I'm almost finished!

Every day you get better and better, and it does actually seem easier somehow...it's amazing!

Find some music you love that motivates you, make sure shoes are comfy, go as slow as you need, and focus on breathing; like someone mentioned, mouthing to the music definitely helps keep your breathing under control.

And if you feel like the next day might be too much, give it a try before you repeat any previous days...you will surprise yourself!!!

Good luck to you all...you can do it!!!
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    I think I am going to do this 5 days a week... going to try anyway... I found that going right from the 30DS challenge to the Day 1 of C25k made it easier to jog then it is to just do the C25K without the 30DS.... also... I am in love with running all of a sudden... it was definitely my favorite part of this AMs workout.
  • met42485
    met42485 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! I was planning to start today or tomorrow :D
  • CountryGirl8542
    Options
    Treadmill broke down! :(:(:(:(:( super upset!