100% egg whites from carton stink!

Options
Is it normal for the egg whites from a carton to smell bad? I bought them and they haven't expired, nor have I had them for too long. I usually eat one whole egg with 2 egg whites scrambled but today I couldn't because the cooked egg smelled like a fart bomb. It only started to smell when I brought out the egg whites. Should I throw away the egg whites or is it okay to eat?

Replies

• MFPSK1977
    MFPSK1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They recommend only using for 3 days after opening. I've used mine for a week before with no problems. Any longer I throw them out. A bad smell doesn't sound good.
  • NanceePants11
    NanceePants11 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MFPSK1977 wrote: »
    They recommend only using for 3 days after opening. I've used mine for a week before with no problems. Any longer I throw them out. A bad smell doesn't sound good.

Yeah I've done the same with other brand egg whites too. The brand I got before was from Sprouts and they didnt smell bad, but they looked creamy white. The ones I have right now are only about 2 days old and they look clearer. Theyre the market pantry kind from target
  • MFPSK1977
    MFPSK1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    2 days old? I'd take them back. Get my money.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from Costco and they smell like nothing...no scent...and last forever in the fridge.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I've kept mine for weeks!!! Never had that problem....
  • NanceePants11
    Options
    toolzz wrote: »
    I buy mine from Costco and they smell like nothing...no scent...and last forever in the fridge.

What color are they? These bad ones I have look clear with a little bit of white.
    but others ive had in the past looked creamy white and I had no problems with them.
  • NanceePants11
    Options
    MFPSK1977 wrote: »
    2 days old? I'd take them back. Get my money.

I need to look for that receipt :/
    Thanks
  • chelllsea124
    Options

Mine last forever too!
  • NanceePants11
    Options
    Shoot, I've kept mine for weeks!!! Never had that problem....

I usually do the same with everything that says it will go bad after a couple days, like almond milk, but there's just something wrong with these :(
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is if something doesn't usually have a strong odor and that changes, I toss it.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options

What color are they? These bad ones I have look clear with a little bit of white.
    but others ive had in the past looked creamy white and I had no problems with them.

they are clear....no white or streaking or anything...and they last a long time and are a great deal!
  • chelllsea124
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    My rule of thumb is if something doesn't usually have a strong odor and that changes, I toss it.

My mammaw always said "when in doubt, throw it out"
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I do not know if they stink, but I tried them one time and I hated them. Now I just buy eggs and separate them.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Personal feelings here: I used cartoned eggs a few times and thought they were disgusting. But so many people like them I thought it was me. Then I went camping with several other families and the morning it was my turn to make breakfast I used real eggs. Two of the families were blown away. They'd been using eggs-in-carton from Costco and from a regular grocery store, and said they didn't realize how bad they taste.
    IMO eggs come in the perfect carton provided by nature.
  • NanceePants11
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I won't be using them anymore, at least not this carton.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I do not know if they stink, but I tried them one time and I hated them. Now I just buy eggs and separate them.

I tried them one time and realized they were horrible so now I just eat the whole egg.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of weird because real eggs make me sick but so far 100% egg whites in the carton haven't made me sick. Maybe it's the yolk that's not agreeing with me but my cartons are good for days and sometimes even weeks on end. I get mines from Wal-mart.
  • Jbod1966
    Jbod1966 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind them once they were cooked, but as I was pouring them into the measuring cup it reminded me of semen ... so I stopped eating them