Is it ok to always be sore ?

Options
bruby28
bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
Been working out since January down by 30 lbs . Have another 30 to go . I alternate everyday with arms and leg days lifting and do 1-2 hours of cardio a day ..usually stair master , cycling , walking uphill , jogging etc . I find everyday I'm still sore , not in a horrible way where you can barely sit on the toilet or anything ( I've had those days in the past with squats etc ) but just an all over soreness . Is this a good thing ?

Replies

• rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm always sore too. I kind of like it.
  • bruby28
    Options
    Yeah the soreness I have too , I like it . Just curious
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    No, probably not. I'm not sure it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's probably not a good thing (as in beneficial) either. If it's more than just a noticable soreness (i.e. has some impact on your every day life), then I'd consider a change to allow yourself to recover a bit more. That could be more/better sleep, a dietary change, or different/reduced exercise.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    In your case it's not necessary and could result in injury. I occasionally get sore, but I'm definitely not always sore. You can reduce this and reduce your chances of hurting yourself by following an actual lifting program rather than alternating arm day and leg day. Following a program should mean you aren't sore after a few weeks and you'll be getting more bang for your buck when you lift.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How is your protein intake?
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    bruby28 wrote: »

So this^ This is good.

"soreness" is a really good proxy for muscle/strength growth. It's not perfect, but you can definitely rely on that feeling (the good kind of sore) as an indication you're going in the right direction.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Rusty740 wrote: »

So this^ This is good.

"soreness" is a really good proxy for muscle/strength growth. It's not perfect, but you can definitely rely on that feeling (the good kind of sore) as an indication you're going in the right direction.

Not necessarily. You can workout and be sore, but never make progress. You can also workout and never be sore, but make progress. The OP is doing doing arms every other day and legs every other day along with tons of cardio. Her being sore all the time is her body trying to say there's a problem. Part of her problem is over use and no balance.

^This. Soreness doesn't equate to muscle/strength growth. I have continued to gain strength/muscle over the years, and rarely feel sore from a workout. Lifting/cardio 7 days a week without rest is overkill and not balanced. OP isn't giving her body time to recover. Strenuous workouts or over-training can also lead to depletion of ATP, which can then develop into rhabdomyolysis. Perhaps OP should listen to her body and rest.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I had that type of day today. I am coming off a 10 day rest due to something really off in my right knee. Knee recovered so I have been running 4.5 miles a day in very warm humid weather. Today I woke up just wore out so I skipped this morning to recover. I often use the weekends to rest too. I have not restarted going to the gym until I can rule out running as the source of my knee pain. You need to listen to your body when it starts talking to you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's definitely not a sustainable regimen. Is there a reason you are trying to do so much?
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I like using a BCAA intra workout drink. I've used stuff like Amino X and XTend but most brands are probably all the same. It helps with the soreness for me. Plus I've adjusted my workouts accordingly. I will power through soreness if I feel like it but rest when I know I need it. One day of rest here or there is better than winding up injuring yourself and being out for weeks or months.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I am sore most days, but you do need rest days to let your body recover.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Are you having any rest days??? I mean I do intensive workouts 5 days a week and am generally aching all over by Friday (not exactly sore if it gets sore rather than aching then I stop) but then I rest over the weekend and am fine on Sunday ready to start again on Monday.
  • bruby28
    Options

Mfp shows me to take in a goal of 121g per day . I workout about 2.5 hours per day , half cardio. I'm 5'9 195 female . Should I up my protein ? I usually eat 120 -150 per day currently
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Mfp shows me to take in a goal of 121g per day . I workout about 2.5 hours per day , half cardio. I'm 5'9 195 female . Should I up my protein ? I usually eat 120 -150 per day currently

I think that you should take rest days.

I agree, she also needs to follow a structured lifting program and cut back on the 1-2 hours of cardio every day. The protein intake is adequate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Always being sore is usually an indication of lack of recovery. That can be due to nutrition, over exercising, and use of too much resistance. Realize that it can lead to a major muscle/tendon injury as well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bruby28
    Options
    Thanks for the responses . I usually have 2 rest days during the week , sometimes only 1 I should probably change that like you guys said listen to my body . Yes , I do about 1 hour to 1.5 cardio + lifting . I've added mp combat protein shake in the am with my bf, I have felt better since adding that . When I rest 2 days in a row ,I am no longer sore and feel good going back to my workout . But then that night I'll just feel achey, like restless mostly in my legs . Not pain that's like an injury just an ache /soreness .
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm sore most of the time but I mostly chalk it up to normal aging along with all the injuries I've collected over the years.

Are you incorporating any stretching or yoga in your routine? I have a similar regimen to yours except with a 30 minute session of yoga each day instead of quite so much cardio. I have no choice but to do my cardio (walk the dog otherwise she's bouncing off the walls and will drive us insane). After that though, if I have to choose between strength training and yoga because I'm short on time or whatever, I go with the yoga personally. If I don't stretch, I pay for it in pain and stiffness the rest of the day.

• bruby28
    Options
    I stretch before my workouts for a bit , probably not enough . I should start stretching at night
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When I rest 2 days in a row ,I am no longer sore and feel good going back to my workout . But then that night I'll just feel achey, like restless mostly in my legs . Not pain that's like an injury just an ache /soreness .

Maybe you could just tone it down sometimes instead. If you're feeling restless when you don't "workout" then you maybe aren't getting enough activity outside of your workouts. So you could either build in some other activity (like a walk) or just adjust your workouts so that you can do them just as often, but for less time / less intensity sometimes. You could do no cardio on your strength days, for example. You could do some lighter cardio options or use lighter weights some of the time.

I don't mean to not challenge yourself and not progress. I mean to have some days that are more "activity" focused and other days that are more "workout" focused. Rest does not have to mean NO activity.