Is L-carnitine making me smell?

Options
Hi all, my partner told me last week that for the past 6weeks I've had a strange smell. It's hard to describe but can be quite strong. Sort of a herb smell but not in a good way.

I am absolutely mortified as I had no idea.

At first I thought it might be the flax seed oil capsules I'm taking (4000mg per day) but I stopped it a week ago and the smell is still there. It's apparently excreting all over my body but I cannot smell anything.

So we did a big search of all my products and food and now he thinks it might be the L-carnitine I have. I use 3g per day). I last had this yesterday and all day I had a strong smell. It's the recommended daily dose and I'm not exceeding. Showering, scented moisturises do nothing to mask the smell.

I'm terrified it's not this, that it's something else but I don't know what to do. I literally do not want to leave the house. What could it be? How long does it take for this stuff to leave your system?

What do I do if it's NOT this?

Replies

• npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I googled this since I was curious and yes it can change your personal body odor. I also wonder whether it is a supplement that your body really needs? Seems to be a lot of controversy......
  • champagne4lulu
    champagne4lulu Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I have stopped it immediately that's for sure!! I guess I'm worried what if it ISN'T this? I just can't think of what else would cause it. I was taking the recommended dose only and I'm not sure how long it will take to leave my system.

I read that meat, dairy, eggs, alcohol, coffee and many other things have L-carnitine too so maybe that has tipped me over the edge?!?

I'm really freaking out here. I can't smell it so I don't know what it smells like or when I smell. It's really messing with my head and now I don't even want to leave the house
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My wife tells me that I emit a highly repulsive body odor when I supplement with too many protein shakes.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Are you doing keto? I remember reading about a smell associated with ketogenesis many years ago in school - kind of a sickly sweet/acetone smell.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/542205-ketogenic-diet-body-odor/
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    Cool thanks guys. I'm definitely panicking a bit. Today I'm going pretty unprocessed - Greek yoghurt, berries, green tea, WATER WATER WATER and lots of veges. I had an Epsom salt bath last night and I'm going to get apple cider vinegar and chlorophyll as they are good for detoxing liver and skin.

I have one protein shake and a small bar a day. My macros are around 130 carbs and 130 protein and 65 fats so I'm not low carb or crazy high protein either.

I just don't know what else it could be.
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    I have drunk so much water and green tea today. Also had chlorophyll and Apple cider vinegar. I rubbed lemon juice everywhere too. I'm not sure if it's doing anything as I just can't smell it.

So frustrating and stressful. I don't know what to do. What if it isn't this? What if I can't get rid of it? I have to work and I don't even want to leave the house right now
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What does your partner say? Can they still smell you? Since they were honest with you in the first place about the smell I'd trust what they say. If after a week of not taking it you still smell then a trip to the doctor may be in order. I used to work with a guy who had fish odour syndrome. That wasn't pleasant in a small office I can tell you! But he was such a nice guy no-one ever commented since we all knew it wasn't his fault. Well, apart from the fact that he really like beer and curry which didn't help his condition. Working with him after days off could be hellish!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Stop panicking! Ask your partner if the smell is still there. And ask him if it is strong enough for others to smell it. It may not be. He is physically closer to you than random people, and around you more, so just because he notices a small and finds it bothersome doesn't mean it's actually noticeable to other people.
  • champagne4lulu
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I did. He said he smelled it as soon as he walked in the house. I just fell to pieces.

It hasn't improved. He said it's like a chemical smell and exactly like the l-carnitine if you smell it from the jar.

What if it doesn't go away? What if it isn't the carnitine and it's just me now?!?! How am I supposed to live my life if people can't stand to be in the same room?!?

I cannot stop crying and just don't know what to do now.
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    And a few people have commented on a yucky smell around me but not sure if they realised it was actually me. Probably eventually which is mortifying.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, just get rid of the supplement. It's not really do anything for you.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I just read that evidence is weak that l-cartinine can help you lose weight. It says your body can make all the l-cartinene you need. And I see you drink a protein shake.
    Although L-carnitine has been marketed as a weight loss supplement, scientific evidence is lacking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you're smelling like ammonia, then the answer is it's likely due to low carbing. I've dealt with this with some clients who low carb and changing it up fixed it.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/information/nutrition/ammonia-sweat-smell.htm

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    I have stopped taking it two days ago. But I still smell strongly of it.
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    Oh and I'm eating 130-200 g carbs per day depending on the day so I'm not low carb either.

I just don't know what to do!!
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Chin up now, you are not going to smell this way forever! If you just stopped taking the supplement two days ago it might be a few days until it is out of your system. If it doesn't clear up in a few days I would consider going to the doctor since it is clearly weighing very heavy on your mind. In the meantime some long, steamy showers (just don't make them too hot or you can really dry out and damage your skin) might help to purge the smell out of your pores faster.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Give it time, it may take days or a week or more for your body to completely rid itself of it.

I know exactly how you feel... Although not the same cause, but still embarrassing and bothersome. I did Keto a while back and instantly got the keto breath, my husband was constantly complaining about it! He said it smelled like "inner bowel" :flushed: We kept a large distance between us most of the time.

I was scared to talk to people when i was out, not even gum covered it up.... it really did my head in! So, i upped my carbs and it eventually went away, but not straight away, it took more than a few days.

Give it time, and don't panic just yet. You are not doomed to live a life smelling like a walking anchovie.
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    Thank you. I guess I'm just worried it isn't that and it's something else. I'm not on a high dose so it's very strange.

What else could it be? What if it isn't that? I'm just totally freaking it. Particularly as you can smell it even standing meters away from me. Wtf do I do?!?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I guess I'm just worried it isn't that and it's something else. I'm not on a high dose so it's very strange.

What else could it be? What if it isn't that? I'm just totally freaking it. Particularly as you can smell it even standing meters away from me. Wtf do I do?!?

If it isnt the L-carnitine then a simple doctors visit will be able to pin point what the problem is. It is a very specific smell which I'm sure doctors have dealt with before and will know how to diagnose and treat it.

I just googled it, and you are far from alone https://www.google.com.au/search?site=&source=hp&q=L-carnitine+causing+fishy+body+odour&oq=L-carnitine+causing+fishy+body+odour&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i22i29i30k1.1734.14747.0.16231.39.30.0.0.0.0.608.6261.2-2j7j2j4.15.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..24.13.5648.0..0j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i21k1j33i160k1.W4ZAkYvkb_o

Some unlucky people just get the gamut of side effects with whatever they take, I am so one of them!! I'd bet my bottom dollar that if i started taking L-carnitine i would be one of the small percent of people to get the odour..
  • champagne4lulu
    Options
    Yeah that's just it - the smell isn't fishy. Which is why I'm now very concerned.