Just starting IF (intermittent fasting)

Options
sflann50
sflann50 Posts: 14 Member
Hello everyone, today was a my very first day giving intermittent fasting IF a try and i just had some questions/concerns. First off, everything went great! I felt great and wasn't overly hungry. I'm doing the 16/8 split, so 16 hours fasting and 8 hours eating. I eat from 12pm to 8pm so I can fast around my working schedule. So first day went great but when it hit 12 pm and I broke fast, I felt kinda crappy. It's like after I ate I got a headache real bad and my stomach just felt yucky. So that was my first concern. I put a little (pinch) of salt in my water (33.9 fluid oz) so I could keep some sodium to me. My only other concern was when I woke up I had about 8 ounces of black coffee and was curious if that's too much coffee at once? But other than that I had 0 calories till 12pm. Any advice or tips that could help me with IF? Did I do this correctly? Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i don't drink coffee, so i have no idea on that one, but otherwise sounds like you are headed in the right direction. i do an 18:6 split and eat from 12:00 noon - 6:00 p.m.

i don't recall a stomachache (sto-ma-che-che for those ELR fans!) or anything but you probably shouldn't eat a HUGE meal when breaking your fast because it might take a while for your body to adjust.

i work-out fasted (aside from BCAA beforehand) and don't break my fast until after my work-out at 12:00 noon.
    i think it works best for me. also, try not to be so rigid in your efforts that you miss eating if you need to.
    example: when i first started, i would NOT eat anything before noon, and one day we arrived at the restaurant for lunch at 11:45 and i wouldn't eat until noon. LOL i think 15 min here or there is oK and not going to kill me. i strive for perfection. ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It takes a few days (3 or 4) to get used to this.
    If you are drinking black coffee (zero) calories, it will not affect your fast.

Here is a group you might have interest in: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Back coffee is fine. I drink 1-3 cups.
    The headache & crappy feeling could have been a one of, or could just be something that will get better over time. I've never experienced that.