What are your thoughts on fat burners?

Options
What are your thoughts on fat burners? I've never taken them but have always been interested to see if they work. Anyone taken any and what to share your feedback. Just trying to research before jumping into something.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ^Yep. This.
  • KrissyJ0104
    KrissyJ0104 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
  • KrissyJ0104
    KrissyJ0104 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. Just wasn't sure. I appreciate the responses.
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just a hyped up word for pre workout.lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The ones that work are illegal or dangerous or restricted by prescription or more than one of the previous.

The ones that aren't illegal/dangerous/prescription only don't do anything.

If you're not sure which category/categories a particular supplement fits into. ask here or check examine.com
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Wooooooo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a "fat burning" pill. That's just a marketing ploy to get people to buy supplements.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The ones that work are illegal or dangerous or restricted by prescription or more than one of the previous.

If you're not sure which category/categories a particular supplement fits into. ask here or check examine.com

Well that's not necessarily true. If you can get your doctor to prescribe you the kind of "diet pill" that is basically amphetamine, you will lose weight, and fast. You will be nutritionally deficient, experience a variety of unpleasant physical effects, sleep very little, lose muscle as well as fat, and have no way to maintain your new weight when you stop, but to say the prescription stuff "doesn't do anything" is a falsehood. On the up side your house will be really, really clean and organized.

Note that the part you bolded calls out prescriptions.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Well that's not necessarily true. If you can get your doctor to prescribe you the kind of "diet pill" that is basically amphetamine, you will lose weight, and fast. You will be nutritionally deficient, experience a variety of unpleasant physical effects, sleep very little, lose muscle as well as fat, and have no way to maintain your new weight when you stop, but to say the prescription stuff "doesn't do anything" is a falsehood. On the up side your house will be really, really clean and organized.

Also, Phentermine and other amphetamines (since we're talking prescriptions) still fit into the dangerous category due to side effects and addiction potential.
    TR0berts wrote: »

Note that the part you bolded calls out prescriptions.

Thanks
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The comment about prescriptions said they "don't do anything" and that's what I was responding to, hence why I bolded it and spoke about prescription diet pills. I don't dispute that they can be dangerous, I never said they were safe, but they are a reality and people use them and achieve short term weight loss at a certain cost.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The comment about prescriptions said they "don't do anything" and that's what I was responding to, hence why I bolded it and spoke about prescription diet pills. I don't dispute that they can be dangerous, I never said they were safe, but they are a reality and people use them and achieve short term weight loss at a certain cost.

NO, the comment said

Bolded to help you out.
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Aye carumba. Apologies.

NO worries, it happens
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Eh we'll let it stand as a reading and comprehension advisory.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Aye carumba. Apologies.

NO worries, it happens

Nah. Good to see - maybe be an inspiration to others - that it's OK to admit a mistake. Sure beats the typical MFP doubling down we see. And it's Friday, to boot!

eta: But, yeah - no worries. Heck, I misread something on FB this morning. Luckily, my comment was no big deal - just an "oops."