I'm a spaz on the treadmill

Options
bruby28
bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
Wondering if I'm the only one out there ..the only machine I feel like a total spaz on is the treadmill. I feel if I look up at the TV at the gym or across the room I get completely unbalanced where I have to grab back on the handle for dear life lol . Walking is OK , but running feels so weird unless I'm looking down at my legs which is really quite boring . I don't have this issue running anywhere else / outside .

Replies

• jenmcintyre31
    jenmcintyre31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    haha I feel the same sometimes, its awkward isn't it! I always feel like I am going to trip over my own foot or my foot will hit the side part and I'll fall face down! I'm getting better though, I think its probably mind over matter.
  • iamunicoon
    iamunicoon Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. My balance is awful, has always been. I can't even ice skate or get on rollerskates. I'm the same on all the machines if I don't hold on and have nearly fallen off the elliptical a few times. It kinda runs in the family with us, though, as my mom and grandma have had the same issue.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone, I've fallen off almost every piece of gym equipment at some point lol
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. that's why I use the Life Fitness Pro ellipticals
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I had very poor balance and experienced the same thing. Yoga improved my balance dramatically. Really, you should sign up for some yoga classes. I can't recommend it enough. I can close my eyes and stand on one foot now! That's huge for me- Ha! Probably normal for most people, though.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I thought there was something wrong with me because I can't take a sip of water without lurching into the wall while on the treadmill. :)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Can't really watch TV or anything while jogging. I'm okay with walking. I end up just either staring at my treadmill monitor or looking down at my feet.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I am fine as long as I'm looking around. If I try to watch TV I get dizzy and have to stop
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I fell off a treadmill in the front row in a gym full of people. I was visiting my sister and she got me into her gym, so my consolation was that I knew I'd never see any of them again. It didn't make it much less embarrassing though. I have better balance now due to different activities, but I used to joke that I could fall off a stationary bike...
  • bruby28
    Options
    Thanks for the replies , I'm glad we're not alone lol . I always thought it was so weird for me since I have good balance on everything else .I can use the stair master without holding on who knows ..
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    because you would naturally slow down while doing that other stuff on actual pavement, which is not an option on a treadmill.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are body weight exercises you can do to help improve balance. Single leg deadlifts with DB or KB for starters. Even lunges. Farmer walk, waiter walk, bird dog all will help. Yoga. It takes awhile.
  • bruby28
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    There are body weight exercises you can do to help improve balance. Single leg deadlifts with DB or KB for starters. Even lunges. Farmer walk, waiter walk, bird dog all will help. Yoga. It takes awhile.

Thanks , I will def try these !
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I feel the same with the rowing machines far too self conscious to use that
  • bruby28
    Options
    I feel the same with the rowing machines far too self conscious to use that

Geez were a bunch of dizzy people ! I tried treadmill again today , still a spaz :D
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes. It's the reason why I never joined a traditional gym but there they were at a bootcamp class I tried and I swear you could not have removed my death grip from the bars if you tried. And who are these people who go at 16s, 18s, and 20s? Like what sorcerer spit you out of hell you satanist creature? :lol:

I'm happy to road run with some music in my ears and the instability of hills rather than the certain death I'm sure I would find on a treadmill. :wink:
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I loathe treadmills. I'm a fair runner, but 30 seconds on one, and I'm wanting to quit. My suggestion is to use the gym for the other things it offers, and do your walking or running outdoors.