Strength training help!! Need tips!

Options
Hello. My first time making a thread here and I hope this is not a stupid question!

So I've lost 25lbs so far and I've always been a really strong girl even though I'm only 5"0', lol! I can lift my BF who is 5'6" and 120lbs, but he can't currently pick me up, but I'm getting closer to his weight and I'll probably cry when he does for the first time :')

I won't get into my weight loss success so far--that's for another later post but i have been doing HIIT and light Cardio but otherwise pretty much sedentary.

So onto the question, i absolutely cannot afford anything right now, much less a gym membership (would like to eventually for me and my bf!) ... and i have no weights at home. I'm content with some Cardio and HIIT, but i really would like to get into strength training because i think I'm strong and at this point in my weight loss (i still have around 30lbs to go) i think it would be really beneficial for my body composition and i think it would be better to start more than regret not starting it sooner.

So i guess my question is, do you guys have any tips on how i can do strength training/ heavy lifting without weights or a gym membership?

Any advice is helpful!!

SJ.

Replies

• sarahjojoc
    sarahjojoc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    *I've actually lost more like 50lbs but I've lost 25lbs with MFP so far.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Got old milk jugs that can be filled with water, and an old broom handle and clamps - you got weights.
    A gallon jug is 8 lbs about. Those 64 oz bottles with good plastic strap are 4 lbs.
    Use sand instead of water (careful of too much weight now) and can make it even 5 lbs.

A 1 inch piece of electrical conduit is actually better sized for grip than broom handle, but you can start somewhere.

Then pick a routine here depending on how much time you have weekly.
    If 3 times, the 3 x full body routine, pick out the primaries, add secondaries for available time.
    Look at how to do the lifts with a bar with weights - which you'll have then.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Instructions.html

http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout1PPPP.html

Thighs, Chest, Shoulders, Back, Arms
    Quadriceps
    Hamstrings
    Chest
    Deltoid (Side)
    Calves - opt
    Back
    Triceps - opt
    Biceps - opt
    Abdominal

You can get by without a stand for a little while, but a bench to lay on is needed for some.
  • sarahjojoc
    Options
    Thank you for reply. But i was hoping for heavier lifting, more like 100+ pounds or more :)
  • sarahjojoc
    Options
    I should say i worked at fedex express as package handler at xmas time, so I'm not "new" to contunous heavy lifting for hours at a time so i believe I can definitely handle 70+ pounds at least! :) maybe should have pointed that out before.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Google you are your own gym. You dont give your weight but presumably you're over 100lbs.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you go to those links you'll discover options for every muscle listed using body weight.
    You include sand filled containers along with those - it'll be awhile before you have tapped out, FedEx experience or more already done.

And if looking for over 100 lbs to lift but can't buy anything - then look for metal materials at junk yard for minimal price.

The problem with heavier weight is doing some of the truly useful things, like squat and bench - without some extra equipment.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    3 programs to look into that are primarily body weight training:
    Convict conditioning
    You are Your Own Gym
    Nerd Fitness
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sarahjojoc wrote: »
    Thank you for reply. But i was hoping for heavier lifting, more like 100+ pounds or more :)

you don't need a 100 lb weight to get a good workout. The majority of my weight training is with a small fraction of what i can actually lift. Find a body weight program, like convict training or something. You can go very VERY far with body weight exercises. You can also go to the local park and do pull ups and dips and things like that, all for free. I guarantee you can't do a pullup with a 100 lb weight vest.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    sarahjojoc wrote: »
    I can lift my BF who is 5'6" and 120lbs, but he can't currently pick me up.

You're good to go - he's the one who needs strength training. :+1:
  • sarahjojoc
    Options
    He's a thin guy and i like him that way lol he's strong but i don't expect him to pick me up til i lose more weight lol
  • sarahjojoc
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions :)
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Garage sales are excellent places to find a barbell and some weights that no one has used in a hundred years. I got a set for $7.

And regardless of your past experience lifting heavy weights, start light, you're muscles and joints are not experienced enough (nobody's are) to start heavy.
  • sarahjojoc
    Options
    Yeah i understand :) thank you.