Iron

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    jlbear4902 wrote: »
    I frequently get anemic and have found that eating grapenuts takes care of my iron needs 100%. They contain 90% of the average person's daily requirement in just half a cup!

I love Grapenuts cereal. Another one is Cheerios MultiGrain - 100% RDA
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Do you have any cast iron pans? If not, check out eBay for already seasoned ones. You could probably use a large frying pan and a "dutch oven" which is like a stew pot big enough for a boatload of meat and root veggies. To clean it, just rinse / scrub it out and then dry it and wipe the inside with some olive oil.

Ref: https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/energy/use-cast-iron-cookware-as-an-iron-deficiency-treatment/
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you still have trouble, you could consider a daily multivitamin. (not gummies since they often do not have minerals). A multi will also have B vitamins which you may be lacking if you are avoiding meat.
    Never take individual supplements such as iron unless advised by a doctor since it can be dangerous.

Why would a multivitamin with iron be safe but an individual iron supplement be dangerous?

Individual iron supplements tend to be at the therapeutic level (several times above the RDA), whereas the multivitamins are the RDA dosage.

Nevertheless, only people at risk of being deficient should take supplemental iron. This is a supplement that can harm if it is too high. Besides going to a doctor, pharmacists can be a wealth of information as well (and cheaper).

Here in Canada, iron supplements are kept behind the pharmacist counter and they only supply after talking to the customer to make sure they understand it's use.

Thanks for clarifying. The one I take is a rather low dosage (it's the one my doctor recommended) so I wasn't aware that individual ones were often higher than what you would find in a multivitamin.

When I was told to take a supplement (major issue with anemia) it was 325mg (65 mg elemental iron) which is 360% of the RDA. If it is not needed, that can cause issues. When my hemoglobin stabilized in the normal range, I was told to stop it.

many multis don't even have 100% of the RDA because of the issues involved with too much iron. many marketed to post-menopausal women are made without any iron at all because our iron needs drop at that time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Did you have your iron and ferritin tested? How do you know you need to increase it?

This.

After my anemia episode my doctor had me checked every 3 months. Once my numbers were high and stable, we do it once a year. I donate blood as often as I can and they do a hemoglobin check at that time. Always a good free way to get yours checked AND do a good deed to boot.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Having haemoglobin in the normal range does not mean you are not be deficient in ferritin. It happens and is often overlooked, 3 in my immediate family one not blood relative, in law. When I tested myself by takingh vit b 12 with ferritin and something else, my immune system reactions decreased radically.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I hope it's okay that I post this here, i've just typed this entire thing out like hundreds of times on the forums and decided to make it all on one condensed page:

http://blog.pop.fitness/low-iron-anemic-try-this/