How to Spread Snacks Throughout the Day

Options
taziarj
taziarj Posts: 243 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
When I go to work, I pack my breakfast and lunch, including snacks, in to my lunch cooler with an ice pack. My breakfast is usually Greek yogurt with some fruit and granola. My main lunch is usually leftovers from the night before along with a cheese stick, some fruit and some other salty snack like chips or peanuts. I keep the cooler in my desk at work (I work in a cubicle). What I find is that I end up snarfing down, aka eating all of them, my snacks by 10:00am. I then eat lunch at 12:00 noon. I'm then left to make it through the rest of the day to 5:00pm with no snacks. Rarely I go to the vending machine in the afternoon for something, but it isn't unheard of. I am usually still on or close to my calorie goal target for the day, but I would like to better spread my snacks out throughout the day. How do I better avoid the temptation of eating all my day's snacks when I first get to work? I am open for some tips, my diary is open if that helps.

Replies

• janetgris
    janetgris Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I pretrack and pack my lunch and snacks, but many times everything is gone by noon. What @combsshan said really made me think. Yes, I'm definitely bored at work. And that boredom usually overpowers my boredom.

I've started putting a little stinky note on my desk that gives me the time frame for my snacks and lunch.
    9am - quest bar
    11am - sandwich/chips
    1pm - salad
    2pm - fruit
    It always works out on paper, but not always in reality.

Let's both keep working at it and update each other soon :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I second the question about not eating enough for breakfast. When I have a sufficient breakfast, I don't need to eat again until lunch. Not everyone is the same, but it might be worth seeing if it's better when you eat more in the morning.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Can you keep your cooler in your car so you physically have to go get the snacks? I found that when I keep food close at hand it's really easy to eat something instead of doing a task I'm not overjoyed about. Having to think and actually go get the food has helped me a lot.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'd add more protein and maybe something not sweet to your breakfast. That should keep you satisfied longer.

For the snack items that don't need to be kept cold, can you keep them in your car? That way you have to go outside and get them and that might help you save them until later in the day.

Personally, (unpopular opinion here) I think snacking is more of a habit than a necessity. Toddlers and growing, active children need snacks (and anyone with a medical issue requiring food at more frequent intervals). As an adult, I don't NEED snacks.
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, pack breakfast/lunch with 2 snacks. I find that I am often feeling like eating a snack because I'm "bored" or rather, just want something to do while I do X thing (desk job as well), so when I'm about to reach for my lunch box, I ask myself why I want to eat and 100% of the time the answer is "just cuz I feel like it". I only have 1200-1300cal and -really- like to have a bigger dinner and before-bed snack, so I can't eat too much during the day. If I ate everything I bring to work too early I'd be STARVING by the time I leave as well, and eating small meals-snacks helps a lot.

The thing that really helps though is planning your meal/snacks out. May sound obsessive, but for us boredom snackers it's necessary. I've set my diary to have individual snack times, so it's: Breakfast, AM Snack, Lunch, PM Snack, Dinner, and Night Time Snack. I then pre-log all of my meals from Breakfast to PM snack first thing in the morning, so I know exactly what I'm "allowed" to eat at what point in the day. I then set specific times I can't eat a meal prior to. Breakfast can't be eaten before 9am, AM Snack can't be eaten before 10:30 am, etc etc.

The rest is willpower and forcing yourself to stick to your guidelines. At this point it's just something automatic for me and doesn't require much conscious effort since this is what I've been doing, and has worked for me for months.
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of potato chips in your diet? maybe switch those out for some celery, carrots, apples, etc. Lower calories! And you can eat more!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    When I go to work, I pack my breakfast and lunch, including snacks, in to my lunch cooler with an ice pack. My breakfast is usually Greek yogurt with some fruit and granola. My main lunch is usually leftovers from the night before along with a cheese stick, some fruit and some other salty snack like chips or peanuts. I keep the cooler in my desk at work (I work in a cubicle). What I find is that I end up snarfing down, aka eating all of them, my snacks by 10:00am. I then eat lunch at 12:00 noon. I'm then left to make it through the rest of the day to 5:00pm with no snacks. Rarely I go to the vending machine in the afternoon for something, but it isn't unheard of. I am usually still on or close to my calorie goal target for the day, but I would like to better spread my snacks out throughout the day. How do I better avoid the temptation of eating all my day's snacks when I first get to work? I am open for some tips, my diary is open if that helps.

Are you hungry in the afternoon or do you just think you should have something then?
    Change your breakfast to something more filling. Maybe a sandwich or soup.
    Accept that you will eat a morning snack. If you want more than 1 snack maybe pack some lower calorie foods like vegetables for one of your snacks- also takes longer to chew through a bunch of carrots or broccoli than a few nuts, chips or cheese.
    Try drinking water or tea in the morning when you get the urge to snack or chew some mint gum.
    Put your cooler somewhere else if possible.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    As an alternative or in addition to eating more for breakfast, maybe split it up between home and work - I don't know how that would work with yogurt, but I usually have a piece of fruit and/or a string cheese with my coffee when I first wake up, then another string cheese when I get to work.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I suggest when you get the urge to snack, make yourself a cup of tea instead. Then if you're still hungry afterwards you can always have your snack. But if you're just eating out of boredom, making a cup of tea and sipping it for a while may be enough of a distraction.

I also agree with snacks that are time consuming to eat (taking lots of chewing through...). Celery with cottage cheese is a good one for that.
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too am a serial snacker and it's really hard to control when I get bored (which is often at work, sad to say!). I've started having a super-late breakfast about 1-2 hours after I arrive at work (so usually between 10 and 11) which helps me with morning snack cravings - but I appreciate this only works because I'm often not especially hungry when I wake up. Another trick (if you have an office with a fridge) might be to bring refrigerated/cold snacks in? That way you'll have to keep them in the fridge and go get them in order to snack. With any luck the tiny bit of extra effort required will help put you off...
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Yogurt sounds like a snack, not a meal. No wonder you get hungry.
    Have you tried having bigger meals and eliminating some of the snacks?

I typically eat about every 5 hours and don't usually have snacks. Maybe something small before a work out, but even then I usually just opt for a full meal. If snacks work for you, that's cool. (Kind of sounds like they aren't working though, if you're eating them all before 10..) But 100-200 calories don't satisfy me. I like a good amount of protein and calories to feel satisfied, and I find that holds me over until it's time to eat again.

While it takes a little more time in the morning, I find cooking something like eggs (Sometimes french toast, or have them on an english muffins) really fills me up while still being reasonable in calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I snacked a lot more before I realized I needed more protein to fill me up. I'd be snacking after a breakfast of yogurt, fruit, and granola too.

I didn't have to "break a habit"; I just needed to have meals heavier in protein.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I organize my lunch as follows: 2 hours after arriving, I have a small snack. 4 hours after arriving, I have lunch. 6 hours after arriving, I have another small snack.

My 'lunch' is quite small, too.

The last hour is the worst because the last small snack is the smallest. I'm trying to figure out hot to rearrange things.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Try spreading your calories more evenly. Have a heavier protein filled breakfast and see if that keeps you satisfied through lunchtime.

I work out first thing in the morning so don't tend to get hungry for breakfast until 9:30 or so. On a 1700 calorie plan, I'll have 300-400 for breakfast and that'll easily keep me through noon. Lunch is 400-500 calories, then 100 for an afternoon snack, 600-700 for dinner, and 100 for an evening snack if I have calories left and get hungry.

Most of my meals are fairly protein heavy (cottage cheese or almonds, etc) as I've found that protein/fat keeps me full the longest.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    You also might try spreading your lunch out more, if your work (and food choices) would allow it. I usually start eating my lunch around 11:30 and finish around 1:30. It's all snacking, all the time!
  • taziarj
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I really do need to try to eat more vegetables as they are more filling with a lot less calories than my daily potato chips :smile: I do love potato chips though. My one issue is that I don't really like raw vegetables. I am odd. I can eat cooked veggies, but not raw. Raw celery is the worst and most vile food in the world. Though I can cooked eat celery in soups and such. Perhaps because it takes on the flavor of the broth and doesn't taste like celery. I am the opposite on fruit, I will eat them raw and fresh but not cooked, prepared or altered in any way.

Leaving my lunch bag in the car really isn't an option, it gets super hot during the day in the summer, so food might spoil. I could instead put my lunch bag in the break room refrigerator, though it isn't very far from my desk but I had considered that. I always have gum at my desk and a full glass of water, that doesn't really seem to help. Though the gum comes in handy in the afternoon when I am out of snacks.

I do think perhaps I need to eat a bigger breakfast. My yogurt is usually only about 150 calories max. I have in the past had a couple poached eggs and some cottage cheese and find that it fills me up a lot more. So I may start going that route, or perhaps some hard boiled and cottage cheese so I don't have to poach eggs in the morning. I like the yogurt because it is fast and easy to put in the container to pack to work. I don't want to cook something in the morning, even if it is just boiling water.

I know I am certainly not hungry when I gobble up all my snacks. It is perhaps more of a willpower thing than anything else. If I don't take the snack with me at all, it doesn't get eaten. So perhaps if I keep them less accessible in the break room, it will help the most. I do like the sticky idea of when I should be eating my snack, so I may try that too.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs is a great idea. That or you can make up a bunch of egg muffins/frittatas which can incorporate protein and some cooked vegetables. Overnight oats is another option. Just add fresh fruit before you eat it. Even left over tea can be something you can grab as you walk out the door.

Personally I'd try for a larger breakfast, no morning snack and then lunch. Have an afternoon snack and then tea when you get home. That way you are keeping your meals around 3 hours apart which may be benefical and save you wanting to raid a vending machine during the day. Also do you have a microwave at work? That way you can bring in your vegetables and zap them in the microwave so you aren't eating them raw.
  • taziarj
    Options
    Unfortunately tea is another no go for me. On par with raw celery. My wive drinks cold brew iced tea all the time, but I can't stand the stuff. I drink water and lots of it. I rarely drink any other type of beverage. I have up soda years ago and only have one every once and a while. I may even try some full fat yogurt instead of the Fage 0% that I have been eating. My only concern with oats would be the added carbs. I always have a hard time getting my protein up and that is where the Fage has helped.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »
    Unfortunately tea is another no go for me. On par with raw celery. My wive drinks cold brew iced tea all the time, but I can't stand the stuff. I drink water and lots of it. I rarely drink any other type of beverage. I have up soda years ago and only have one every once and a while. I may even try some full fat yogurt instead of the Fage 0% that I have been eating. My only concern with oats would be the added carbs. I always have a hard time getting my protein up and that is where the Fage has helped.

Are you vegetarian or otherwise have dietary restrictions? Why resistance to carbs in oatmeal or the need to use yogurt as a significant source of protein?

Since it doesn't sound like you're being strict with your food choices your original question shouldn't be too hard to fix. Eat more earlier and see if that keeps you full for the course of the morning.

From a weight loss perspective, there's nothing wrong with chips or other junk food as long as you stay within target. The only issue with them (as you're currently experiencing) is that they're not terribly substantial. A lot of calories for not a whole lot of bulk or staying power. You can choose to allocate 150 calories to a kiddie sized portion of chips or you can use that 150 calories to add a large extra serving of protein to your diet (for example, ~ 4-5 oz of deli meat), or a big salad with two tablespoons of dressing, etc.