• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    So, using those Australian figures we can guess that Nutella is two-thirds sugar and palm oil. Yummy.

I have stopped eating Nutella and most commercial peanut butters. It has nothing to do with the sugars. The palm oil production is the main contributor to deforestation of the orangutan's habitat so I no longer buy anything with palm oil in it. Personal thing, I just love orangutans :D

Nuttvia... It's a palm oil free alternative to Nutella. And I've never seen PB with palm oil! Do you not have natural ones available in your supermarket?

Basically, most of the blended ones have palm oil, even the spreadable "natural" ones.

Lots of them don't. I prefer nut butters that are just the nuts or, sometimes, the nuts plus salt, and haven't had trouble finding them.

Probably cheaper to just do nuts in the food processor, though. I do that too, sometimes.

I'm currently obsessed with walnut butter.

I started reading labels in the grocery and was surprised at how few of the natural ones are just peanuts (or peanuts and salt). I do put peanuts in the blender when I do my African groundnut stew.

When I first started buying them ('90s), I think most of the natural ones were just nuts (or peanuts) and salt, and now more of them (as the market got bigger and more of the new buyers perhaps dislike the separation or are motivated just by sugar fear) do have some palm oil, but in the stores I go to it's still easy to find ones with nothing but nuts.

(Now I'm thinking of that old commercial, "nothing but net," sigh.) ;-)

I can get a store brand that's just nuts and salt.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I can't see the point of testing for blood glucose after ingesting sugar since the cause of insulin resistance isn't linked to the ingestion of it.

https://niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

I disagree. Elevated BG causes damage. Many, many people may be regularly elevating their BGto unhealthy levels and have no diagnosis of IR or T2D.

After an OGTT, I had a BG of over 9 at 1 hour. At two hours it had over halved itself. By that test, I gave no diabetic BG because it was not still high at 2-hours post glucose drink. BG was still disturbingly high.

More knowledge about how your body responds to food can't hurt.

And IR is being shown to be related to carb intake in some people, and by carb it is often referring to the less nutritious carbs like sugars and highly refined grains (carbs are not nutritiously equal).

Source for you feelings on this matter? You have IR.

Please tell me how a BG spike after eating something in healthy insulin sensitive people is a problem. Please tell me why everyone should be pricking their fingers.

Please tell me with papers backing up your feelings on the matter.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I can't see the point of testing for blood glucose after ingesting sugar since the cause of insulin resistance isn't linked to the ingestion of it.

https://niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

I disagree. Elevated BG causes damage. Many, many people may be regularly elevating their BGto unhealthy levels and have no diagnosis of IR or T2D.

After an OGTT, I had a BG of over 9 at 1 hour. At two hours it had over halved itself. By that test, I gave no diabetic BG because it was not still high at 2-hours post glucose drink. BG was still disturbingly high.

More knowledge about how your body responds to food can't hurt.

And IR is being shown to be related to carb intake in some people, and by carb it is often referring to the less nutritious carbs like sugars and highly refined grains (carbs are not nutritiously equal).

Source for you feelings on this matter?

I don't keep them book marked for MFP discussions. I stopped posting old links "to support my feelings" long time ago. Those who are interested will look.

I have read a few studies linking diet to IR and elevated BG though. The link between BG (and IR) and food is there. You can look if interested or dismiss it.

Perhaps you could give me a hint as to the search parameters I should be using, because the only person I could find claiming that blood glucose spikes due to diet as a cause of insulin resistance is an accupuncturist. Every other source shows elevated blood glucose as an effect of insulin resistance.

I would like to see the research you've found, so since you don't have it to hand, I'll find it myself. I'm obviously not looking in the same places you did.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the whole thread but no a little sugar doesn't hurt. For me, it's empty calories and doesn't fill me up, but if it makes certain foods more enjoyable and it fits your goals by all means!