Improving 5k time

Options
2»

Replies

• Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    So I owe you guys a massive thank you for the input. Lots of great advice given.

So, over the last couple of days I have ran a couple of 2k runs at a good pace without stopping. This morning I have completed my first ever 5k without stopping. Granted, it was at a slow pace but at a time of 36 minutes I am not ashamed at all.

So, my plan now is to continue with a couple of faster paced shorter runs, followed by a longer distance at a slower pace. Gradually building up distance on both.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    So I owe you guys a massive thank you for the input. Lots of great advice given.

So, over the last couple of days I have ran a couple of 2k runs at a good pace without stopping. This morning I have completed my first ever 5k without stopping. Granted, it was at a slow pace but at a time of 36 minutes I am not ashamed at all.

So, my plan now is to continue with a couple of faster paced shorter runs, followed by a longer distance at a slower pace. Gradually building up distance on both.

Build distance on you LS run. Build speed on your pace runs.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Look for a quality running program or coach. Your run training should be varied, you should have: LSD (long slow distance) runs, tempo runs, and speed work. Unlike most people believe - you can't just aimlessly run and see improvement. Sure if you drop weight you will get faster. If you build up endurance you will get faster. But you will eventually plateau and stop improving. That is when you need to work from a real running program that progresses your body properly. This also helps prevent injuries and burnout by the way. Too many people just go out and start running with no knowledge on how to build up properly - which is why there is such a bad rap about it being bad for your knees, etc. Also note that if you are carrying a lot of extra weight focusing on getting that off (through nutrition) and doing a lot of walking and hiking is much safer than going out and starting to run.

Best of luck!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    aaronmoze wrote: »
    If I start to add a body weight workout once a week that included legs, will my legs be too tired to run?

Thanks for the help.

It will probably be fine. Also, increasing your total running volume will help, too. Other folks have recommended getting to where you can run all the way though your 5k before you add intensity. This is probably good advice.

So much depends on how deep you are going with these workouts.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Spitspot81 wrote: »
    I am trying to run 3 times per week at the moment. I am not following any particular programme, but using my Fitbit to track a 5k run. I basically run until I feel I need a breather,walk for a minute until I feel able to continue and then stop when I get to 5k.

I am not improving on my times though, so am wondering if I should be following some sort of progressive programme. My 5k time seems to average out at about 32 minutes: I would love to get it to under 30 minutes.

Any advice???

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. Running training really distills down to a few simple things.

Regular running: How much is up to you and your body. It can take years to build up to your maximum volume. Volume leads to efficiency, but can also lead to injury. Be patient.

Stress and recovery: intervals, tempo runs, and long runs all stress different systems. You'll need to recover after each.

Hard runs hard. Easy runs easy. Long runs steady.

Have fun!