From fat to bodybuilder?

Options
2»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    240 at 15% bodyfat is years of work, that's huge dude...

Yep. This is a bit dated (about 10 years ago) but shows NFL linebackers are around 15% BF. Many of them are in the 240 pound range and actually a bit taller than the 5'11" of the OP.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ricardo_Silvestre2/publication/7665798_Body_Size_and_Composition_of_National_Football_League_Players/links/0046352a89a9d11060000000/Body-Size-and-Composition-of-National-Football-League-Players.pdf
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
    Keep the beard.
  • joelartygreenwood
    joelartygreenwood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'11" and I started at 232 lbs at 37% body fat. I lost 52 pounds, about 10 lbs of muscle as I dieted down. I'm now just below 180lbs and still "fat".

I started without dieting, and hit the gym 4x per week doing Legs, Chest, Back and Shoulders. Some cardio, not much. Since that didn't work, I started dieting. Using MFP calculators, I dropped below 2000 calories. About 1lb/week weight loss.

Find out what your body fat is. Don't try to bulk until you see abs, is a general rule. I haven't tried to bulk yet. I'm surprised how much fat was hidden away. Gyms usually have a way to measure body fat. Or buy one for $30. Not particularly accurate but useful for trends.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Also don't starve yourself trying to lose weight. When you don't eat regularly, your body actually stores more fat cause it's not sure when more nutrients will be coming. Just try to eat healthy

^ Ignore the bolded part, that's an old wives' tale. "Starvation mode", as that is commonly called, is a myth. Eat at a reasonable calorie goal and get adequate protein - meal/nutrient timing is irrelevant.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Here's my routine. If you want exact exercises, let me know...
    Day 1) Chest & shoulders
    Day 2) Biceps & Abdominals
    Day 3) Legs (and sometimes cardio)
    Day 4) Triceps & Obliques
    Day 5) Back

^ Ignore this as well. Beginning weight trainers should not be running a "bro split". It's probably the least effective routine you could run other than not training at all. Bro splits are for advanced bodybuilders who are already near their genetic potential in terms of muscle mass, and who are hitting every bodypart with massive volume. There are plenty of studies by knowledgeable trainers showing that hitting each muscle group 2-3 times per week is the most advantageous strategy for beginners/intermediates.

^This. So much misinformation. And oblique training???
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In for Eric Helms videos..
  • jamiefarnsworth453
    jamiefarnsworth453 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Okay guys update

Not going for 240 decided 220 still want to see 15% maybe 20%
    I took someone's advice and researched 5x5 work outs and I'm impressed yesterday was my first day and I am week as hell I thought I would be way stronger. But I will prevail!!!

Incline bench press 135 5sets of 5 reps
    Squat. 155 5sets of 5 reps
    Over head press. 75 5sets of 5 reps (barley wat able to finish over head)
    Barbell row. 95 5 sets of 5 reps
    (This weight was actually to low)
    Dead lift. 185 5sets of 5 reps
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay guys update

Not going for 240 decided 220 still want to see 15% maybe 20%
    I took someone's advice and researched 5x5 work outs and I'm impressed yesterday was my first day and I am week as hell I thought I would be way stronger. But I will prevail!!!

Incline bench press 135 5sets of 5 reps
    Squat. 155 5sets of 5 reps
    Over head press. 75 5sets of 5 reps (barley wat able to finish over head)
    Barbell row. 95 5 sets of 5 reps
    (This weight was actually to low)
    Dead lift. 185 5sets of 5 reps

i wouldn't worry about a goal weight or bodyfat 5... maintain when you like what you see in the mirror
  • shi07140960
    shi07140960 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First set a goal to lower body fat. So a calorie defect of 500 cals a day below your maintenance. After 2 months you would of lost over a stone. Then set a hulking target. 400 cals above maintence. And work harder and heavier than yo expected yourself to. YouTube if best to learn form on excercises. I do a split and try and make it every other day rather than have a set days. If i miss 2 days then i go 2 days straight as a punishment to myself. My split is excercise day 1.) back and biceps.....
    2.)chest and triceps
    3.) Legs and forearms
    4.)shoulders abs
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    First set a goal to lower body fat. So a calorie defect of 500 cals a day below your maintenance. After 2 months you would of lost over a stone. Then set a hulking target. 400 cals above maintence. And work harder and heavier than yo expected yourself to. YouTube if best to learn form on excercises. I do a split and try and make it every other day rather than have a set days. If i miss 2 days then i go 2 days straight as a punishment to myself. My split is excercise day 1.) back and biceps.....
    2.)chest and triceps
    3.) Legs and forearms
    4.)shoulders abs

A new lifter will generally make better progress with a full body program that emphasizes compound lifts.