THIGH SLIMMING

I've been working out for 2 years now. I started incorporating HIIT intervals in my cardio plan for a while. I also strength train my legs twice a week. I noticed that my thighs have gotten bigger instead. Would power walking solve this and help me active what I desire? I'm 5'11'', 160 lbs and a mesomorph. I'm satisfied with how my upper body looks. It's just that I'd love my lower body to be a lot slimmer as I've got long legs.

Replies

• meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    The strength training is going to build muscle in your thighs. IMO muscular thighs are really attractive on women, but if you don't want them I would pass on leg strength portion of your routine.
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    There isn't a whole lot you can do to target specific body areas for "slimming". My girlfriend is 5'2'' and went from 195 to 123 and still has her thick thighs and backside. Overall, her body has slimmed a great deal, but her pair body shape isn't going to change. I know it's tough to see parts of yourself and them not being how you want them to be. I have a lot of lose skin that will only become more apparent as I tone up my body. It's just something I have to live with. You might be able to make your thighs look more muscular, but odds are they will never be as "thin" as you would like them to be.

Keep in mind that we are our own worst critics. I'm not one to promote the whole "body positive" thing, but when you work hard to get to where you are, you have to take pride in your progress and accept that you have achieved your best possible form. I seriously doubt anyone checking you out is going to think "man, shes fine but those thighs are a dealbreaker". If anything, it's going to be a non-point at worst and a plus otherwise.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Run
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    You can't spot reduce but running is what helps me to get lean and it does wonders for the legs.

Although I think super shapely legs have a lot to do with genetics. I have long legs but I inherited my grandma's sporty muscular legs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    If you still have fat on you legs to lose, then you stick with a calorie deficit till you reach desired body fat loss. If they are thicker from muscularity, then you pretty much just don't weight train legs to reduce current size. If you want to atrophy the muscle, then you don't use your legs at all.
    All in all, genetics will dictate how you look. And somethings you CANNOT change. You can't change your height, or actual shape and in most cases you can't reduce the muscularity you may already have if you're still wanting to be active.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I'm 5'11", 165 lbs, have wide hips and long legs so my thighs were quite thick to begin with but running has made my thighs slim down quite a lot. I run about 12-15 miles/week and don't do any other leg exercises and I've had good results.