How to eat less sugar when you are surrounded by bakeries/cafes?

Options
idk319
idk319 Posts: 33 Member
edited July 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Oh and bubble tea places, donuts, rolled ice cream parlors and lots of gelato in every corner
It is ruining my diet since I moved here and I have gained weight
The items are calorie dense and I am having a hard time eating at maintenance at 1600 calories and sometimes I attempt to eat 1200-1300 but it doesn't happen
I end up eating pastries and ice cream everyday
Sweets are my weakness

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    vOv I just don't even notice it anymore. After a period of time, my brain just stopped acknowledging it's presence/existence. I have to be one of the few Americans who can walk by a Cinn-a-bon and not be remotely affected by that smell wafting thing that they do. If a food isn't in my plan, it doesn't exist to me, even when I am bulking.
  • stretinjak
    stretinjak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm using myfitnesspay.com and I create my eating plan for a whole day. Then I just stick to it. It requires some willpower and self-control in the beginning, but after a while it becomes a daily routine. It's all about habits.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Where I work, I'm surrounded by all those things too.
    But I never go in.
    Those things cost money, and I've got more important things to spend my money on.
    Plus I've got a collection of food at work that works for me. :)
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    These things you usually buy cash so don't keep cash on you when walking around your neighborhood.
    Prelog the whole week so you can decide what you indulge in each day or every couple of day.
    Exercise more. Convert what you are eating extra into exercise. It is absolutely discouraging

Or decide how much extra weight you are willing to live with
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Is there anything special about any of those things? (I'd say no)
    Can you get them any day? (yes)

= Probably not worth it!
    Preplan and prep meals so you don't need to go out for food or resort to pastries/icecream everyday .
  • bassforhire555
    bassforhire555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook your own food at home. I work 12 hours a day at a Domino's, and avoiding calorie dense, carb heavy food is nigh on impossible without some foresight and planning. Cook some simple stuff before heading out, rice, chicken, lean red meat, stuff like that in amounts that meet your calorie and macro goals. It's much easier to keep to your goals when you have food ready to eat that fits your goals. You got this! (Oh, and learn how to use seasoning. Plain chicken breast, plain broccoli, and plain rice gets old REAL fast lol)
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    vOv I just don't even notice it anymore. After a period of time, my brain just stopped acknowledging it's presence/existence. I have to be one of the few Americans who can walk by a Cinn-a-bon and not be remotely affected by that smell wafting thing that they do. If a food isn't in my plan, it doesn't exist to me, even when I am bulking.

Just want to say how awesome that is! How did you train your brain? Any tips to share?
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Prelog your days. There may be room for one of these desserts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Leave your credit card and cash at home.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options

I actually kind of half-heartedly looked for one when I was in Canada recently, but didn't notice any. Oh well ... no biggie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    idk319 wrote: »
    Oh and bubble tea places, donuts, rolled ice cream parlors and lots of gelato in every corner
    It is ruining my diet since I moved here and I have gained weight
    The items are calorie dense and I am having a hard time eating at maintenance at 1600 calories and sometimes I attempt to eat 1200-1300 but it doesn't happen
    I end up eating pastries and ice cream everyday
    Sweets are my weakness
    YOU make the decision. No one forces you to eat them. You'll always have temptations and it's up to you to learn how to deny them or at least limit them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I literally live above an Indian restaurant, round the corner is a chocolatier, there is a triangle of roads of which one side I live on, and every second unit is a food outlet of every type you can imagine.

And yet, I go into any of these places once in a blue moon. Because once you've walked past once, you can do it again, and again, and again. Oh and try to never go near those places hungry.

but yeah, stop making excuses about how you can't avoid it and just stop going in.
  • PeachyFit
    PeachyFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Plan a once-a week treat and log it in. Maybe for Fridays? So maybe this Friday you get bubble tea, next Friday it's a pastry. It'll allow you to not feel deprived and to look forward to your treat each week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out or shop for food more than once a week. Saves a lot of money. When I do get something I have planned for it.

You could set one day a week where you will get one of these things and not go into the bakeries or cafes otherwise.
    Look for sweet things that are lower calorie that you can enjoy. Maybe a fruit sorbet instead of ice cream some days or a small amount of dark chocolate.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Gradually reduce how much sugary food you eat everyday until you barely eat any. Once you get that far a lot of the sugary confectionaries of those shops will taste too sweet and rich to enjoy.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Gradually reduce how much sugary food you eat everyday until you barely eat any. Once you get that far a lot of the sugary confectionaries of those shops will taste too sweet and rich to enjoy.

Yes.. Even a lot of granola is to sweet for me now. I love whiskey and gingerale, but have to cut it with soda water or it's too sweet now. And my beloved honey..i love it, but it's so sweet I can only have a taste so it's not worth it.. I do love Klondike bars and chips though... So I just don't buy them. Don't even go in the aisle...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walk past them!