dws00
dws00 Posts: 159 Member
What are your opinions on veggie protein supps vs. whey? Thanks

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I haven't found one that tasted good. Most of them contain pea protein, which I think tastes absolutely vile.

I don't get this, because there's a meat substitute, Beyond Meat, made from pea protein, which I think is quite tasty, but pea protein powder is just awful.

I don't find whey protein powder by itself to be terribly filling, I prefer a blend of whey and casein.

The only other option I'm away of is soy, and I can't eat soy without serious digestive issues. I think there are hemp protein powders, but I've never tried them and don't know how they taste. I gave up.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Look up bioavailability for different protein sources.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I would use plant based if they were as good because whey makes me breakout and my skin isn't as clear, but... I sacrifice that because whey tastes a million times better to me and all the good protein bars are made with whey.

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Can't stand the taste of plant based most of the time unless its covered up by a fruity flavor or added to a smoothie.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    Can't stand the taste of plant based most of the time unless its covered up by a fruity flavor or added to a smoothie.

Yep, I've tried a few plant based powders and none of them tasted even remotely pleasant. I have a protein smoothie everyday, and i need them to taste delicious.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The MRM brand of vegan protein chocolate-flavored powder was described by me after my first taste of it as "turpentine". One of my mfp friends recommended I have it with vanilla unsweetened almond milk. I did and was able to tolerate the flavor the second time. After working through about a gallon of VUAM 8 oz at a time, I found I was able to enjoy the flavor of the powder mixed only with water. I have it for lunch at work every day now. I'm not even vegan, but I prefer the MRM over the cheaper whey alternatives at Wal-Mart.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use both for different applications. I like to cook and bake with whey since it blends smoothly into liquid to boost the protein content of homemade ice cream and baked goods. For making smoothies, I prefer plant protein since they often add more fiber, and sometimes enzyme/greens blends as well. Right now, I have a canister of Garden of Life's Raw Fit that I use for smoothies, a tub of their Grass-Fed Sport Whey for making ice cream with, and a couple of tubs of bone broth protein and collagen protein that I like to use to make hot chocolate with and to stir into coffee. Overall, if I had to choose only one, I'd probably go with the veggie protein, since I think that those have the greatest health benefits for most people that just do recreational exercise.

Just take my advice and NEVER buy one that's plain hemp protein. Hemp is wonderfully healthy, but that stuff literally tastes like vomit. And this is coming from someone who's willing to eat pretty much anything if I know that it's good for me. Seriously. Just no.