2,400 Calories A Day Over 6 Meals

Options
Hi,

Since I'm soon going to be eating 2,400 calories a day, I need some guidance. I'm still going to be dividing my meals up to 6 times a day. I'm aiming for about 550 calories for each main meal and 250 calories for each snack. I still want to stay low on the fat side, keeping it at or under 56 grams a day. Are there any suggestions for certain foods out there that I could try that are healthy and organic but that won't take up as much volume in my stomach?

I've got at least 15lbs to gain back over the next few months. Wish me luck guys!

Replies

• lisajsobertoday
    lisajsobertoday Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am the queen of gaining weight on pretty healthy food. lol - dried fruit mixed with yogurt and wheat germ, hummus with whole wheat pita chips, roasted sweet potato drizzled with chopped pecans, yogurt, raisins, honey. Ezekial toast topped with yogurt dip (greek yogurt, and any of your favorite herbs, spices) and a tiny bit of avocado.

Whole grain pasta with a tiny bit of protein and marinara and then a couple tsp. pesto?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat low fat? I eat more fat than that and a lot less calories and I still don't eat high fat. Fat is the most calorie dense nutrient, and will make it easier to hit your goal without filling too much.

No foods are healthy or unhealthy, diets are more or less healthful. All foods provide nutrients, in different amounts and combinations. The more variety, the better. The less stress with food, the easier it is to eat well.

Why organic? Organic foods aren't more healthy, they're just more expensive. If buying them is inline with your values, it will make you feel well, and when you feel well you'll eat better, but it's the placebo effect, nothing else.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat low fat for medical reasons?

Nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados are EASY ways to add calories and high in healthy fats.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are limiting your fats? I mean it's fine as long as you are getting minimum 0.4g per lb bodyweight or so, but since fat is so calorie dense and takes up less volume, it can really help you hit your goals if you increase it a bit.

Otherwise, your cals are going to have to come from protein or carbs. Lean protein can be filling for most, so you may have to experiment, you may find sources like shrimp, white fish, lean ground beef or chicken not as filling. As for carbs: bananas, juices, dried fruit, bagels, pasta, cereals (especially those sugary kids ones), candy.. you can try to make juice smoothies to help get the cals in, also add maple syrup and honey to things like protein pancakes and toast, etc. Try to stay away from certain high fibre and very watery foods as they can make you feel more full.

How fast are you looking to gain? Just a warning that gaining more than 2lbs per month, you will gain mostly fat. If you are OK with that or being seen by a doctor, then carry on!
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to gain half a pound a week. I'm currently 100 and need to gain at least 15.
  • journeyrock92
    journeyrock92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do. I used to have gastroparesis, and I need to eat low.
  • dalerst
    dalerst Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I personally think you could gain 1lb per week and it would be 50% fat and 50% muscle providing you are following a lifting program.