Starting Strong Curves today

Options
Raegold
Raegold Posts: 191 Member
I'm excited to start this program! I'm interested if anyone has feedback who has tried it. I was already doing glute focused training on my own, but i was all over the place with the order and tracking my progress.

I think I might add a couple upper body and core things in, but it seems pretty well rounded to me. I'm doing the program NOT for aesthetic reasons, but because I need the glute/core stabilization after having 2 babies and a childbirth injury.

Let me know what you guys think of the program, or anything you added or changed!

Replies

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I love Strong Curves! I've completed the beginners program and am currently running the advanced program. Even though it's glute focused, it's a full body workout so you shouldn't need to add anything to it. Every workout involves 2 upper body exercises and 2 core exercises already (apart from the lower body only program but that doesn't sound like what you want). Have you got the book? I highly recommend it if not because it makes the program make more sense and there is a great index at the back showing you how to do all of the exercises.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love the program! And while I mostly did it for aesthetic reasons, I have definitely strengthened my whole body running it.

I actually ran a modified version of it while I was pregnant and post-partum I really think it helped keep my body in shape and with my recovery as well.
  • Raegold
    Options
    This is all great to hear!! I have the book on my kindle, which is kinda annoying bc I had to figure out how to take screenshots and print the worksheets. But I loved the info in the beginning of the book. I felt like he was describing exactly my life, how my glute turned completely off after an injury.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    If you get the opportunity, definitely buy a physical copy of the book. You can download the templates but having the actual book makes looking through the exercise database a lot easier.
    Done basics two times and am now attempting advanced, with some mods since I workout from home. Love the program a lot. And I rarely found I had to add any extra exercises in. I have added farmer carries and frog pumps recently. Carries for grip and core and frog pumps for more glute activation.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my second week on the beginning program. Not for aesthetic reasons, more to learn about weight training to begin with.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I just got the book from Amazon & starting tomorrow!
  • Raegold
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    If you get the opportunity, definitely buy a physical copy of the book. You can download the templates but having the actual book makes looking through the exercise database a lot easier.
    Done basics two times and am now attempting advanced, with some mods since I workout from home. Love the program a lot. And I rarely found I had to add any extra exercises in. I have added farmer carries and frog pumps recently. Carries for grip and core and frog pumps for more glute activation.

Yeah, it's hard to flip through the database on the kindle. Maybe I'll invest in an actual copy.

Just so I'm clear... once I max out on the rep range listed for the exercise, I go up in weight, correct? Like dumbbell deadlift says 10-20... I'm at 15x3 with 45 lbs. should I keep going until I can hit 20, or go up in weight?

• Raegold
    Options
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    I just got the book from Amazon & starting tomorrow!

Yay! Maybe we can do a support thread?? I just did workout A... I did add weight to the bridge and box squat, plus did cable abduction. But I liked it a lot, and it forced me to record everything, which I don't usually do. I'm feeling excited about this!
  • capaul42
    Options
    I add weight when I Max out the reps. Most times. Unless my form suffers with the added weight.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Great job! I wish you all the best. I agree with getting it in print if you can. I did for Starting Strength and glad I did. Having a physical book just seems to add something more than another ebook.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm reading through the book on Kindle myself right now, and I plan on buying a physical copy before I really start the program. It'll be so much easier to photocopy and print a few pages if/as needed instead of flipping around in the Kindle app.

I'm really excited!

~Lyssa
  • capaul42
    Options
    You can actually download the templates online to print out. Though you should cross check them against the book because they have some small errors.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I just started BB yesterday :) I did it a few years ago but was under eating so didn't see huge results and I've since fallen off the fitness wagon. This time I'm eating around maintenance and attempting a recomp, looking forward to making some real progress this time!
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    https://bretcontreras.com
    His whole phd is on the glutes. If you're looking for supplemental information.
  • Raegold
    Options
    I just started BB yesterday :) I did it a few years ago but was under eating so didn't see huge results and I've since fallen off the fitness wagon. This time I'm eating around maintenance and attempting a recomp, looking forward to making some real progress this time!

Good luck, hope you have a better experience this time!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Raegold wrote: »

Good luck, hope you have a better experience this time!

Thank you :)
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the book on Amazon. Is this program good for reducing muscle loss during weight loss?