Calf cramps

Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    just going to throw in there that magnesium poisoning isn't pretty . . . at least by what i've read. so i take it when i think it'll be relevant but i'm pretty wary of making a daily-dose thing of it.

Yeah ... too much magnesium = massive diarrhea. From my experience.

Once upon a time I thought if some magnesium was good, more must be better so I took about twice the recommended dose. Bad mistake!

I had that problem from some WalMart/Walgreens magnesium. Now using Doctor's Best 100% chelated magnesium at 1800 mg daily there has not even been a hint of diarrhea from any cause in over two years but I have been LCHF for nearly three years now and I think that was what that fixed my 40 years of IBS.

Even at that rate if I take the smallest dosage (5 mg) of lithium orotate supplement for longevity the leg cramps are back the next morning.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do very balanced cardio and weight training and getting excellent results. In the middle of the night, calf cramps wake me out of the blue. This isn't a regular occurrence but does happen from time to time, maybe every few months. My wife seems to think I don't get enough potassium. I do eat bananas and drink some milk regularly but I did notice it's a little lacking on the nutrients portion of this app.

I'm wondering if I need to get back on a good multi. I researched them and found good reviews for Adam Now. Now already has an excellent reputation as a brand. So I've already taken the initiative of adding it on my shopping cart for my next amazon order. 28.95 for 180 softgels (90 day supply) can't really be beat.

Suggestions?

Nocturnal muscle cramps are often a sign of dehydration. Make sure you are getting enough fluids during the day. Some also may need a bit more potassium and some need a bit more magnesium to prevent cramps.

One note about the dehydration: do you drink alcohol? Do you get the cramps on nights that you did drink? Alcohol can dehydrate you too, even if you drank plenty of fluids the rest of the day.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Low magnesium levels have been found to be the best predictor of heart disease...
    The current review is based upon work that was started by Midred Seelig, MD, who studied the link between magnesium and cardiovascular disease for more than 40 years...
    This implies that the real culprit of cardiovascular disease has been low magnesium levels

Correlation doesn't imply causation.. A magnesium-rich diet tends to be a balanced, healthy diet, so maybe it's the entire diet that contributes to reduced heart disease. Or maybe it's from not eating less-healthy foods. :+1: