New Old Person

Options
Polo265
Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
HI Folks - I've been on MFP for 5 days. I'm almost 68 years old and have never been this heavy in my life. I'm so depressed, I have difficulty leaving the house and being around people who know my formerly thin self. I've gained 35 pounds since September of 2016. I went from a size 4 to a size 14. Up until September, I was very active - golf, swimming, pickleball (like tennis for old people), etc.. When I injured my shoulder in pickleball, I was sidelined for all of those activities. In January of this year, I had surgery for a complete tear of a rotator cuff tendon. I was in a sling for 7 weeks. It hurt my shoulder to even walk, since my gait was off. So - during that time, I sat around bingeing on Netflix, eating and drinking. So, that's my excuse - shoulder, depression and oh - I have arthritis in my toes. That makes walking tough. I did purchase a bicycle and only up until a couple of weeks ago could I put pressure on the handlebars because of my shoulder. Anyway, I'm here. I know many of you have had tougher rows to hoe, but I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck.

Replies

• Polo265
    Options
    After I posted this, I was ashamed. Some of you would really like to be a size 14. I apologize for my selfish post.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed, and welcome to the boards. Did physio give you exercises to do? I only started on this path in the past six months, but my mother at 62 has join in with us on our workout programs. She's doing Yoga and a dance based program. We work out from home and love it. Just modify around the shoulder and don't to anything to it the docs don't want you too
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Hey, no need to apologize. We're all working to get to different goals. I think you'll find if you follow this program and faithfully log your food and come in on your daily calorie limits, you'll see some progress. Good luck! Glad you're here!
  • Polo265
    Options
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    Don't feel ashamed, and welcome to the boards. Did physio give you exercises tpoolo do? I only started on this path in the past six months, but my mother at 62 has join in with us on our workout programs. She's doing Yoga and a dance based program. We work out from home and love it. Just modify around the shoulder and don't to anything to it the docs don't want you too

Yes - I completed my initial therapy. I have joined a Wellness Center and will be doing 8 more weeks of therapy. A bonus of signing up for this program is that I have full access to the gym with state of art equipment and Olympic Pool. Although it's been almost 6 months, I still hurt. My Ortho Dr. informs I will continue to see progress for 18 months. (18 months - YIKES). I will be close to 70.