How far do you use running shoes? 100 miles?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    300-500 before they're retired to walkers only. Another 300-500 before they're fully retired... and that depends on tread/upper wear.

Price 80-200 I trust my guys at my fleet feet, that they are looking out for my best interests and the best interest of my feet.

I'll try to rebuy at amazon for less(usually get a couple spare pairs when I get fitted)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought running shoes, they said they were good for 100 miles. That seems far, but not really. Some people run that in a month. How often do you buy a new pair?

generally 300 to 500 is quoted. my current ones have about 500 miles on them and look to be ok - i am not feeling any adverse effects on them. my previous pair i could see the wear after 4-500 miles so they have been retired.

100 miles of wear sounds like a cheap shoe to me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd be irate if a pair of shoes only lasted me 100 miles.
    Back when I ran more and tracked mileage, I tried to get 500-700 miles from shoes. Some though wore out at just over 300. I don't track mileage anymore and run in much more minimal type shoes, mostly on trails. They wear out when they wear out, I don't retire them at a set number.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wear Brooks. I can get 400-500 mi out of mine (about 6 months) but then I whine and fuss about paying for a new pair so I struggle along on those for another 50 or so before getting another pair ;) I pay $120 and usually wait for a sale before I purchase.

I also use a different pair for cardio machines/weight lifting. I'll keep the old pair and use them for that or sometimes for gardening because ugh they are pricey.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I usually get at least 500 km / 300 miles out of a pair of shoes (I go through 3 or 4 pairs per year) Who is the "they" who said that they're good for 100 miles?
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a new pair every 3 months or so. I do a lot of working out outside in the desert so they tend to get torn up by the elements.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    300-500 is what the Fleet Feet said I could expect to get out of a typical pair of running shoes.

I concur. On the low end (300 mi) I place lighter weight shoes that I do races and speed work in. My more sturdy trainers I place at the high end. You can track miles against your shoes with the garmin connect app.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I wear Brooks. I can get 400-500 mi out of mine (about 6 months) but then I whine and fuss about paying for a new pair so I struggle along on those for another 50 or so before getting another pair ;) I pay $120 and usually wait for a sale before I purchase.

I also use a different pair for cardio machines/weight lifting. I'll keep the old pair and use them for that or sometimes for gardening because ugh they are pricey.

If you go through a lot of running shoes, I would recommend the VIP program at Road Runner sports. You get free shipping, lots of discounts, and you can test drive your shoes for up to 90 days. This is excellent for getting your size and fit perfect.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content1.jsp?contentId=1000050&contentId=1000050&cm_sp=footer-_-vip_benefits-_-footer_links
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I buy last year's model when it goes on sale, so around $55 for a $120 shoe.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've always worked on 300 miles, my trainers still look brand new and there is no sign of wear at all
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I wear Hoka One and replace them every 4 months (keep a reminder) . The current running shoes become my slop shoes (used on rainy days and my slop shoe become my walking shoes. The old walking shoes go in the garbage -- and so is the circle of running shoe life.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've discovered with the changes that some brands make yearly - I really want last years model.
    Actually, the Kinvara's it's 2 years back at this point, the changes they made I don't like. And considering still available on Amazon and still about same price - I must not be alone.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics Cumulus, and I retire them after 500 miles. That used to be about a year for me, but now I'm training for a marathon, that's not long at all before I've run them out!
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Until they start falling apart!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    This is something I've been thinking about, too.

I bought my shoes in fall of '15 in the last few weeks of C25K and then ran a 5K Turkey Trot. 2016 was a very bad year health-wise. Didn't run at all. This year started fresh with C25K, C210K, and now training for HM. But I've lost nearly 60 pounds since I started. Probably hit the cushioning a good wallop back at the beginning of the year. Thinking I might need a new pair before too long. The Asics have been good for me.
  • Ebony_The_Cat
    Ebony_The_Cat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saucony Kineta Relay only gets me about 250 miles. I rotate 3 pair at the same time. Some colors are only $40 so I don't mind their short shelf life.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Until they start falling apart!

or you do... likely you will start getting injuries before your shoes show notable wear.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I have one I am retiring to just weightlifting or other muddy wear. The other newer pair should last me a year. If I get serious about a marathon, I will make sure I buy a new pair to run in.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If by weight lifting you truly mean like, weight lifting like squats and deads and OHP - squishy running shoes not a good idea at all - not stable and can easily ruin form and cause injury.

Retire to lawn mowing shoes or such.

Flat solid Converse is lifting shoes on decently cheap budget.