Meniscus injury!

Options
I've injured my meniscus countless times, just recently it's kept me from the gym and I can't have that. Any suggestions on how to heal it. Maybe I'll hear some I haven't before. :) Thanks

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Usually if you have a meniscus injury you will have seen a doctor who can give you suggestions. Most of the meniscus has no blood supply, so it won't heal and you would need surgery. If you haven't seen a doctor you need to. If you saw a doctor and they didn't give you adequate information call them.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have meniscus damage, i did have it fixed, it doesn't fix itself. but once its damaged its never the same, even after surgery. i wear tight compression knee sleeves when i work out and that helps. i also don't do any knee killer exercises like lunges or jumping or knee extensions.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Yeah, meniscus tears are a surgical fix.

I babied one for 25 years until I couldn't even work a full shift on my feet, that was when I had the surgery. The surgery was pretty great for me. I was back on my feet and able to work in less than a week. No further problems and that was 20 years ago. I'm sure the outcome can be different for different people, since the damage can be at different levels. It was worth it for me.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is see an orthopedic dr. As previous posters have stated a meniscus tear can't fix itself. It's a simple repair you'll go into the hospital or an outpatient clinic. should take no more than an hour and you'll probably be home a couple hours after that. Then it's just a matter of going through the rehab the physical therapist has you do