Need help with squat form

Options
2»

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Smidge22 wrote: »
    Actually past parallel is not good when using heavy weight and low rep. It is ok when doing high rep. 405 past parallel can cause internal pains even if it is a warm up or is light for you

What the what? There are words, but they do not make any sense.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If ankles not flexible enough - might try either a slightly wider stance, or toes/knees pointing more outwards so the ankle doesn't have to bend as much.

Those solutions didn't work for me as it hurt knees more, so I needed 1/4 inch heel lift suggested above, so just have board now.

ditto. I have to use a wider stance with more out-pointing toes. Shoes with a slight heel (as weightlifting-specific shoes have) help as well. I also wear 0-drop shoes to work on days I will be squatting to stretch my achilles/plantar fascia during the day - this also helps a lot. (And lower heel shoes on other days than I had typically worn before I started lifting - probably useless info for the male OP however, who probably doesn't regularly wear 2"+ heels).

• timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    Actually past parallel is not good when using heavy weight and low rep. It is ok when doing high rep. 405 past parallel can cause internal pains even if it is a warm up or is light for you

Once you start to get posterior rotation of your pelvis you run the risk of injury. So ATG isn't always the best words to live by. Your olympic lifters who are able to get super low typically have really short femurs so not only can they stay more upright but get lower without having that pelvic tilt.

This posterior rotation of the pelvis coincides with movement of the lumbar spine into a flexed position, as pelvic position is closely linked to that of the lumbar spine.

Annnnnnd ankle dorsiflexion ROM plays an important role. Ankle dorsiflexion ROM with a flexed knee and hip flexion were important factors for deep squatting in males, and dorsiflexion with an extended knee and dorsiflexor strength were important factors in females.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    timsla wrote: »

Once you start to get posterior rotation of your pelvis you run the risk of injury. So ATG isn't always the best words to live by. Your olympic lifters who are able to get super low typically have really short femurs so not only can they stay more upright but get lower without having that pelvic tilt.

This posterior rotation of the pelvis coincides with movement of the lumbar spine into a flexed position, as pelvic position is closely linked to that of the lumbar spine.

Annnnnnd ankle dorsiflexion ROM plays an important role. Ankle dorsiflexion ROM with a flexed knee and hip flexion were important factors for deep squatting in males, and dorsiflexion with an extended knee and dorsiflexor strength were important factors in females.

Posterior rotation isn't inevitable under load.
  • timsla
    Options
    In conclusion my dude; you're gonna have to play around with a lot of factors that may be limiting your ROM. Look at world class powerlifters and not a single one squats the same. They have fine tuned their squats to work for them; stance width, bar placement, foot and hip angle, back angle, hand placement. It's a long process but you're gonna have to study yourself like book. Record your success or failure over time to see what works for your body. There are no quick fixes and no one stance or trick will fix your squat. Just gotta record your squats what works and what doesn't hurt. Doesn't hurt and what feels good, mind you, are very different things.
  • timsla
    Options

That's true I'm speaking about the excessive tilt, but if you'd like the paper I can load it up for you? It's kinda long
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

That's true I'm speaking about the excessive tilt, but if you'd like the paper I can load it up for you? It's kinda long

Sure, send it my way, either here, or PM or start a new thread and tag me.
  • timsla
    Options
    Do you have access to Jstor or an .edu email address ?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

the problem with this is that it "CAN"- which is like an afterthought to the main sentence.

Yes- for some people- ATG isn't feasible (scottish hip is real my friends) but that doesn't mean "past parellel is not good under heavy weight"

that's just a big old giant wrong brush you painted everywhere.