Are you guys getting stretch marks after losing weight?

I gained a lot of weight in the last couple of years and noticed I had a few stretch marks, I figured they were from the weight gain. But now that I've lost almost 8kgs the stretch marks have become more prominent. Is that normal?

Replies

• kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    I became ill in early Jan, but my weight has blown up, and gone pathetically thin. Now I'm a little chubbier than usual, but from the drastic weight changes, I do notice a change in skin elasticity. Booo :(
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Pregnancy does the same thing.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I'm covered in stretch marks, from weight gain and pregnancy. I'm very prone to them. They do seem to get more prominent for a while when you are shrinking, and then less so as the skin recovers. Give it time. If they are still pink just now then it means they have not fully healed, they eventually turn silvery and are less obvious.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    It's the weight gain not the loss that damaged the skin causing the stretch marks. Losing weight might make them more noticeable but the damage had already been done.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,241 Member
    I gained a lot of weight in the last couple of years and noticed I had a few stretch marks, I figured they were from the weight gain. But now that I've lost almost 8kgs the stretch marks have become more prominent. Is that normal?

Yes. Stretch matks are stretched and smooth when you are fat and the opposite when you start losing.
  • Midnightwine5
    Midnightwine5 Posts: 11 Member
    I have a ton of stretch marks too-- from high school when I had went from 160 to 120, then again when I was pregnant with my son. Maintained 120 through out high school, then I shot up to 210 pounds while pregnant. Mine have faded with weight loss and now they are barely visible; for reference I started in April at 190 and now I'm at 160.