etiquette question

Options
Carnhot
Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
What are the expectations re. stripped down posing on the gym floor? This is something I saw last week and wasn't quite comfortable with.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Depends on the gym. There are lots of bodybuilders at my gym, the owners are coaches, and there are posing classes regularly during comp season. People pose at other times, but generally off to the side and at quiet times. I personally don't have an issue with it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's totally normal and 100% acceptable at my gym. But nearly everyone at my gym is a professional IFBB bodybuilder, strength coach, personal trainer, or IPL powerlifter. Sometimes
    I see weird stuff that's related to a particular sport that I probably would have been "wtf-ing" had i been in la fitness or 24. I feel like nothing phases me now. :lol:

The bodybuilding competitors do, however, go to our exercise class room (which is a glass wall on one side and a mirror on the other) so they're visible but not out in front of the mirrors on the free-weights section. I think it's also a good space for them because the bikini girls wear clear heels and our weight section has a foam flooring.

I think it's going to depend entirely on what kind of gym you're at and what area they're doing it in.

But i'm not sure why it would make you uncomfortable...? Can you elaborate?
  • Carnhot
    Options
    It is a Fitness First gym in the UK. I guess I was uncomfortable because I didn't expect him to come in and start taking his kit off on the gym floor. I will be prepared and unsurprised in future.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    We have some pretty serious bodybuilders at my gym, and some who are in it for fun. I've seen a couple "photo shoots" beyond the abs-in-mirror selfies. Doesn't bother me. I have to wear my itty bitty singlet in the gym before a powerlifting meet and I'm pretty sure everyone can see my uterus.

Different goals. But I like training alongside with goal oriented people.

:lol:
  • ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    We have some pretty serious bodybuilders at my gym, and some who are in it for fun. I've seen a couple "photo shoots" beyond the abs-in-mirror selfies. Doesn't bother me. I have to wear my itty bitty singlet in the gym before a powerlifting meet and I'm pretty sure everyone can see my uterus.

So glad this isn't just me! :D

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

<-- wearing this, I think everyone got to see what I had for breakfast too...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    These "etiquette" threads never turn out well. What are the rules and guidelines of your gym? That's really all that matters. As for social etiquette, it is a lost skill here in USA.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Usually the person will go into an empty studio, with their coach and work on posing. If the person has little to no humility and it's not a norm in the gym, they'll do what you experienced.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    I'm pretty certain the words "humility" and "modesty" are taboo in 2017. Everyone likes to share...
  • Carnhot
    Options
    I think he was looking for an empty studio. I feel uncomfortable that I felt uncomfortable.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    I think he was looking for an empty studio. I feel uncomfortable that I felt uncomfortable.

In that case it's prep for a contest and relatively normal
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i just work out in general all-purpose public space. the self-checkers i find relateable though i'm pretty covert about it myself. and the outright pose-strikers are either a no-opinion-on-this to me, or sometimes [if they seem really really into themselves], then they make me giggle.

i guess it's a big shrug to me. as i said i'm in an all-comers general space and i like the way there's room for pretty much everybody provided they don't act like dicks. and like i also said, who am i kidding? i check myself to get a full-mirror idea of how things are coming along.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I work out at a gym that is 90% active duty Marines. There is a strict dress code and even clothes with holes or home made tank tops or shorts are off limits. If someone did that there someone would tell them to stop it within seconds. They would be lucky if they did not get sworn at in the process. Hell this happens if someone does not rack their own weights. I love my gym :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

OMG, I'M DYING HERE!!! :D:D
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    What are the expectations re. stripped down posing on the gym floor? This is something I saw last week and wasn't quite comfortable with.

i'm really not concerned with what anyone else is doing at the gym. Everyone is there for their own reasons, and if thats what they come to the gym to do , it doesn't bother me. They have much right to pose in front of the mirror as i have to do squats in the squat rack. I think the issue of etiquette lies with the OP to not be concerned about what other people in the gym are doing.