Soo.. toning?

Options
Not a real thing, right?
I've read to get "toned" you actually have to lose the weight so you can see your muscle and or gain more muscle.
But at what point will this happen? How small do you have to be before you can stop being wobbley?

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Start with weights now so you will see some definition. Gaining muscle on a deficit will probably never happen but it doesn't hurt to work out.

Ive just started doing, chest press and shoulder press at 10 reps with 3 sets. Each time I go to the gym, planning to go every second day.
    I know this isnt much but not really sure what to do or if that's good enough for now.
    But focusing on cardio, elliptical, stationary bike and running on the treadmill to burn those calories.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Start with weights now so you will see some definition. Gaining muscle on a deficit will probably never happen but it doesn't hurt to work out.

Ive just started doing, chest press and shoulder press at 10 reps with 3 sets. Each time I go to the gym, planning to go every second day.
    I know this isnt much but not really sure what to do or if that's good enough for now.
    But focusing on cardio, elliptical, stationary bike and running on the treadmill to burn those calories.

You are training like a dude, lol, chest every day..
    I kid I kid..
    Start adding training for the rest of the body, legs, back, biceps, triceps. Lift heavy ( for you), watch your diet, do cardio if needed.
    It will come

Thanks, doing leg extensions aswell. But will look onto some more for the rest of the body.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I think what most people visualise as a toned body is a low body fat % with normal bmi. (overweight bmi with low bf% for men is not what toned implies)
    This can be achieved by getting tothe lower half of normal bmi and either recomping there or going through several bulk cut cycles. Lifting is necessary for gaining the muscle. Calorie deficit is necessary for losing the fat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I think what most people visualise as a toned body is a low body fat % with normal bmi. (overweight bmi with low bf% for men is not what toned implies)
    This can be achieved by getting tothe lower half of normal bmi and either recomping there or going through several bulk cut cycles. Lifting is necessary for gaining the muscle. Calorie deficit is necessary for losing the fat.

It really has little to do with BMI and everything to do with body fat vs muscle base. That can happen at a variety of weights related to height.

OP, you need proper structure to your lifting. As a newbie winging it can easily lead to imbalances. Go into the gaining subforum, there's a thread about choosing a program that fits your needs and wants.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this before and it's a great read

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

you should look into one of the structured lifting programs that are you mentioned on here regularly - strong lifts, simply shredded, etc.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

It really has little to do with BMI and everything to do with body fat vs muscle base. That can happen at a variety of weights related to height.

Hm I don't agree. I think normal bmi with low fat% is what most girls mean by saying "toned".
    Overweight bmi and low fat% is very common for men who bodybuild and this is what women visualise when they say they don't want to "get bulky".

ETA: Heavy lifting is assumed in both cases.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Start on a progressive and periodized plan. Most women i know have had good success with Strong Curves.

If you're already at a health weight but just feel "flabby" then i'd go for a recomp by eating around maintainance while lifting.

If you're still overweight, start the program now, but eat at a slight calorie deficit until you've reached an acceptable weight.