How long will these foods keep in the fridge?

Options
I was wondering how long these foods will keep in tje fridge. I looked online and got lots of different answers so i thought members here would know especially the meal preppers.
All foods are cooked:
Chicken
Hamburger
Rice
Beans
Brocolli
Brussell sprouts
Peas and carrots
Onions and peppers
Potatoes

Thanks

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I dislike keeping stuff past a couple of days. When I prep in bulk, I keep a couple of days out then freeze portions for the days after that. I get them out the night before or in the morning I want to eat them
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep for longer than 4 days I would freeze it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Longer than you think.

I keep food in my frig for weeks, even months.

Carrots, celery, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions, potatoes, citrus and even eggs will keep for a month or longer. I've kept sauerkraut and kimchi in jars in my frig for over 6 months; doesn't spoil but will lose flavor.

Zucchini, asparagus, green onions, broccoli, kale and other leaf veggies are more delicate but can still last a couple of weeks if you can keep moisture off them; I paper towels to do that. Cooked rice or jook in a pot will last a week or more as well.

Won't leave raw unwrapped meat/seafood in the frig more than a day or 2 but, if it's cooked, it'll stay until I finish eating it. Can keep cooked/processed meat or leftover cheese that I've vaccum wrapped in the frig indefinitely.

Have never gotten sick from anything I've cooked/eaten from my frig.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    As long as it's cooked, I tend to eat food from the fridge for up to three weeks. (the potatoes may start to brown......)
  • dieorloseit
    dieorloseit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was only hoping for 3 days.

Sgt1372 you really think cooked Carrots, celery, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions, potatoes, citrus and even eggs will keep for a month or longer. Ive never read that long.

Thx
  • wardrobelaggard
    wardrobelaggard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The temp inside your fridge at makes a huge difference. Foods will become inedible a lot faster at a 40°F than closer to freezing. We keep ours at 34°F and things stay not just edible but fresh-tasting for an incredibly long time, weeks for many things.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Sgt1372 you really think cooked Carrots, celery, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions, potatoes, citrus and even eggs will keep for a month or longer. Ive never read that long.

Thx

Just saying what I have done. Not saying that it's recommended. Obviously not.

Veggies are mostly uncooked; cooked can last longer. Have a month old, 1/2 full carton of eggs in my frig right now. Just used 2, they were fine.

I don't set my frig particularly low but, since I live alone, I don't open it frequently which may help food last longer.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Thx

Just saying what I have done. Not saying that it's recommended. Obviously not.

Veggies are mostly uncooked; cooked can last longer. Have a month old, 1/2 full carton of eggs in my frig right now. Just used 2, they were fine.

I don't set my frig particularly low but, since I live alone, I don't open it frequently which may help food last longer.

In my experience fresh veggies will keep for quite some time but the cooked not so much.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer found out how far past empty the gas tank would go. Nerve wracking.

I found that I am more likely to eat the good things when they are at their peak rather than at their limit.

I buy small amounts of fresh and use it up quickly. I scan the fridge and try and use up the leftovers the next day.

The rest goes in the freezer.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally cooked foods are okay for about 4 days refrigerated.
    If you you want to keep them longer you should freeze them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You get different answers because it varies. How fresh is the food when you put it in the fridge? At what temperature is your fridge set? Is the food cooked or raw? How often do you open the fridge? How is the food wrapped or packaged before stored in the fridge?

The answer to these questions can change how long food stays fresh by several days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Thx

Raw eggs will stay good longer than cooked. The eggs you buy at your local grocery may be more than a month old before you even buy them.
  • StaceyO444
    StaceyO444 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Microbiologist/Epidemiologist here. It depends on the food, but pay attention to packaging. Any meats uncooked, no more than 3ish days, cheeses maybe a week-10days, but look at it, if the packaging inside is wet or slimy, toss it. Milk, I'd say 6 days from opening, at most. Any yogurts or sealed packages, if it's tight and looks sucked in, toss. If it's puffed out, toss. https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    StaceyO444 wrote: »
    Microbiologist/Epidemiologist here. It depends on the food, but pay attention to packaging. Any meats uncooked, no more than 3ish days, cheeses maybe a week-10days, but look at it, if the packaging inside is wet or slimy, toss it. Milk, I'd say 6 days from opening, at most. Any yogurts or sealed packages, if it's tight and looks sucked in, toss. If it's puffed out, toss. https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html

Only 10 days for cheese? Geez, I eat cheese that is several weeks old. If it's a hard cheese it may be good for more than a month. Even if a little mold grows, just slice it off and eat the rest. With soft cheese, if no mold & it smells good, eat it.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I saw a special one time about how rice and beans are the only foods that should ever be eaten as leftovers. With that, I will keep things for a couple days but if I don't think I'll eat it soon then it gets put in the freezer.