Scale recommendations

Options
me0231
me0231 Posts: 218 Member
I think my scale is on the frizz. I have an fitbit Aria and I like it for the wifi capability mostly. Saves me to log one more thing. I don't need any fancy bf measurements and stuff.

The scale always had weird things going on like measuring the exact same weight down to 10g for three consecutive days or showing swings of up to 3 pounds when stepping on it repeatedly. It used to be just the odd time but it's doing it a lot lately. Yesterday morning I 'gained' nearly 3kg in about 5 min of standing next to it...

I'm hesitant to buy the same one again because of that but I like it other than those issues. What scales do you guys use? Any recommendations? Do you have the same problems with the aria?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Have you replaced the battery? Mine acts like that when the battery needs to be replaced.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Second the suggestion to check the battery.
  • me0231
    Options
    Yeah I replaced the battery about a week ago and set it up again from scratch but it's still all over the place.
  • wardrobelaggard
    wardrobelaggard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is it on a hard, firm flat floor? Carpet, saggy subfloors, or even slightly uneven tile floors can affect consistency.
    Does it have adjustable feet underneath? If so, make sure they are all contacting the floor firmly when nothing is on the scale.
    Is it located in exactly the same place for each weighing? If your floor is uneven the feet may contact the floor equally in one place but not in another.
    Try replacing the battery.
  • me0231
    Options
    I appreciate the troubleshooting advice but I've been using this scale for years with minimal issues. It's not working right lately that's why I'm looking for a replacement and suggestions of what people use.
  • me0231
    Options
    Sorry if my op wasn't clear, I'm looking for a new scale.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    To actually answer your question, I have a cheap electric bioimpedence scale I got from Walmart about 6 years ago. Haven't had any problems with it although I don't bother with the "body fat" measurements anymore...
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Yeah, I have a $25 regular digital scale I've had for about eight years. It's made by Taylor, I bought it at Fred Meyer (which is like Target...a big retailer.)
  • me0231
    Options
    Thanks. Maybe that's the way to go then instead of spending big $ just so to get the wifi capability when I don't really use any of the other features.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Taylor is a good brand. I got mine at wallymart.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    Thanks. Maybe that's the way to go then instead of spending big $ just so to get the wifi capability when I don't really use any of the other features.

ha. That's funny. I spend a lot of money on gigabytes for my iPhone. Never download anything. Should cancel it - but that would be too smart.